Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
French Hollyhocks...when to prune

Posted by ilovemyroses 8 Dallas TX (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 11:15

I bought some small plants in March, they bloomed beautifully since then, about 2 feet tall. But now, the blooms are spent, and the plants look TERRIBLE!! Some rust, but mainly just yellowish, dried up leaves (regular irrigation and nothing surrounding is dry). It just is acting like it is 'over'.

BUT, I do want the reseeding. Not quite sure if the seeds are there?

TOO, I read that many bloom through the summer??

These just bloomed and are done.

Sorry so rambling, but I just don't know what to do with them...is this normal...did i kill them?? When are the seeds formed? Where? What do I do with these really ugly plants I SO want to SP! Do I cut them to the ground and they come back THIS SUMMER from the base, or is my summer bloom done?

Thnaks...these biennials are confusing!! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: French Hollyhocks...when to prune

• Posted by memo Zone 4B Nebraska (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 15:43

I'm not sure what "French" Hollyhocks are but with the big old fashioned ones, I cut them back to about 12" from the ground and lay the stocks on the ground near them. When the seeds dry out I crush the pods and sprinkle them around though Mother Nature will take care of that eventually if I don't get to it. You should get some new basal leaves popping up around the base of the old stock and it will grow some this summer, next year those will grow and become your new flowers, then they will be done. You'll have to plant or scatter some of the seeds each year to keep a progression of them going since they only last two years. Next years flowers will be longer lasting and much fuller than they were this year.

o

If you know or can figure it out, you gotta give us the latin name. Not to be picky, but common names are as common as grass and often vary.
Thanks,
idabean

o

Hmmm. Interesting. These are different than the tall ones but I bet the same principal applies. They r so ugly now, I think I'll try that, and just set aside the cutoff part to seed. Thanks !!

o

, French Hollyhock 'Zebrina' (Malva sylvestris)

o

Malva is a perennial, different from true hollyhocks which are biennials and so have to have the seeds planted to continue in the garden over time. Zebrina is one plant that you probably don't want to leave all the cut stems to drop seed. It has a reputation for seeding extremely prolifically to the point of being a pest in some areas, so maybe set out a few for seed in case the original plant doesn't survive, but you may not want to let all of them loose on your garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here