Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plays_in_dirt_dirt

wonbyherwits/Cameron in Southern Living

plays_in_dirt_dirt
13 years ago

I don't post much, so you won't recognize my user name, but I read the forum everyday.

Just letting everyone know that our own Cameron (wonbyherwits) is the subject of an article in the July 2010 edition of Southern Living magazine. There she is on page 52 snipping verbena bonariensis. The subject of the article is Cameron's deer-resistant garden.

Congratulation, Cameron!! I felt so proud. I learn so much from your posts and love the photos you share.

Barbara in Virginia

Comments (40)

• Annie
    13 years ago

Thanks so much Barbara!!!!

I have been watching for the story about her and wondering when it was going to come out in Southern Living. She told us about it last year. I will go straight away to the store and buy my July copy.

I am so proud of you Cameron!
    Woohoooooo!!!!!

~Annie

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Good for you, Cameron!!! Wondeful to have yor in front of the camera for a change.
    kay

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Oh, I'm going to go shopping for that today Cameron!!!! I can't wait to show my friend Henrietta, she's going to DIE that I "know" you through GW. Southern Living and Gardening (she has a cottage garden in her back yard) are her two favorite things!!!
    CONGRATULATIONS!

• MollyDog
    13 years ago

Congrats! You have an amazing garden.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Congrats! I recognize the name from the dec board. I subscribe to SL, so I'll definitely check that out! What an honor!!

tina

• natal
    13 years ago

Barbara, thanks for the heads up!

It was Cameron who inspired me to plant lots of zinnias this year. I'm so glad I did!

I stopped subscribing to SL years ago, but I'll definitely be picking up a copy.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Way to go Cameron! I can't wait to see you and your garden in Southern Living :)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

Couldn't think of any garden more deserving- have to see if I can find a copy! Can't wait to see it.
    Congrats Cameron!
    CMK

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Congratulations Cameron, I don't know if we can get that magazine up here but will be looking for it.

Annette

• Annie
    13 years ago

Annette,
    If not, I will send you a copy.

~Annie

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I hope June wasn't my last month of receiving the mag because I'm letting it expire. Has anyone received the July issue yet? I haven't so maybe I won't be able to see the picture. :(

• pippi21
    13 years ago

I hope it is in all regions of Southern Living magazine. I never realized that they published different issues for different regions of the country, even though the cover will be the same. I found that to be true about 30 yrs. ago when a relative called to tell me to look on a certain page# as there was an article about a familiar local person I would have know from Wilmington, NC area. I got my relative on the phone and told her she must be mistaken, such and such was on that page# and she repeated the page# and title of article in her copy of SL magazine and it was not in mine(I live in Md.) So people in another region may not see it but I'll be looking for it with much anticipation.

• natal
    13 years ago

Pippi, I forgot about that. And I also forgot to look for it when I just shopped at Albertson's, lol.

• cindysunshine
    13 years ago

How great is that?! Congratulations and I'm out to pickup the magazine for sure.

• DYH
    13 years ago

Well, I just woke up from a much-needed 2 hour nap and read this thread!

Thank you, everyone. Much of my inspiration and much information comes from the Cottage Garden folks. If not for this forum, I never would have started a Monarch Waystation, sown seeds, tried monochromatic color beds... and so many more ideas and advice from so many.

I picked up extra copies of the SL Mag at Sam's Club that has a different cover -- Steve (the author of the story) says some get a different cover, bu the content is the same -- and it is on the same pages, in both versions.

Thanks again.
    Cameron

• neverenoughflowers
    13 years ago

Congratulations, I will be joining the mad dash to the store to pick up my copy.

I have to agree with everyone, I have learned a lot from reading Cameron's blog. Now I can show this to friends and coworkers and say that I "know" Cameron. Thanks for all the "free" education.

Carol

• pippi21
    13 years ago

I just walked down to my neighbor's to see if her SL magazine for this month had arrived and it hadn't. My subscription expired in 12/2009 and my neighbor said her subscription didn't expire for a few more years, and since we all pass our magazines around, I ordered Real Simple in place of SL. So when I go up to the grocery store tomorrow, I'll look for it and purchase it. I don't want to wait till her copy arrives and she may not get around to reading it for a few weeks, so I'll buy mine off the newstand. Freda, congrats! You inspire us so much. I have your blog/website bookmarked and look at it often.

• carrie630
    13 years ago

Didn't see the SL magazine, but Cameron - how wonderful for you! You deserve every bit of this excitement...

Carrie

• libbyshome
    13 years ago

Cameron, that's fantastic!

Libby

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Haven't seen the magazine yet either, but know it will be fantastic. Have always loved your garden and I've always thought it was prettier than lots of gardens I've seen in magazines. :-) Congratulations!

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

Congrats! How exciting to be in a magazine! You certainly deserve it, your gardens are gorgeous and your knowledge is quite impressive even to experienced gardeners. Don't get the magazine, but will look for it next time I go to a bookstore.

• ianna
    13 years ago

Congratulations. I'm anxious to see if it appears in the magazine sold up here in Ontario. (Yes we get this magazine too) Is there an online version of the article?

• DYH
    13 years ago

The article isn't online (it isn't a "main" story). I appreciate all of the kind comments from everyone.

The deer and rabbits are in the garden a lot now, but not to eat flowers. With the drought, the creek must be dry as they are drinking from our waterfall and stream. We don't begrudge them as they aren't hurting anything and we have plenty of well water to refill the water feature.

I'm getting emails (via my blog since Grumpy gave the blog name) from a few southern gardeners.... but mostly from scads of people trying to get me to link to their commercial websites, sell their stuff, promote their stuff, etc. There's an upside and a downside to publicity!

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Congrats Cameron,i'll have to look for it tomorrow when i go out.
    Kathi

• susie_gardener_2007
    13 years ago

I had cut back on lots of my subscriptions, but recently resubscribed to Southern Living and the very first issue I received was this one. I had already read the article. I always read the gardening articles first. Congratulations, Cameron!

Sometimes I get these "professional" or "Senior" discounts on magazines, that are too good to refuse. I like it better when they call it "professional". Ha-ha!

• roper2008
    13 years ago

Congratulations, willl look for it at work today.

Linda

• DYH
    13 years ago

Thanks.

I noticed that there's a 99 cents an issue discount offered in the magazine for a 2 year subscription. That's about as low as I've ever seen it. I know times are difficult for anything in print -- magazines, newspapers and books.

• Annie
    13 years ago

Freda,

I picked up a copy of the magazine yesterday. It is a fantastic article. I am so proud of you and your beautiful gardens! But let me say, you are a beautiful woman. I had forgotten what you looked like (It has been years since we posted our photos on here). But, I mean that. Very photogenic! Slender and pretty as any flower in your garden, and what a smile! Not one of those NutraSweet-plastic-Barbie-doll women. The real deal.

I buy my Southern Living mags from the rack at the evil store. Tired of messing with subscriptions. I love the recipes as much as anything. The entire GARDEN article is wonderful.

Thank you for agreeing to do the article last year and sharing your knowledge with the world.
    Thank Steve Bender for me too, will ya?

~Annie

• DYH
    13 years ago

Annie - you are sweet! Me, not so slender, but now I know to walk around surrounded by flowers so no one will notice! :-)

Aren't those neat house restorations in this issue?

Thanks

• natal
    13 years ago

I keep forgetting to look for the magazine. Just added it to my grocery list. Now hopefully they won't be sold out. ;)

Annie, that Barbie doll comment was weird.

• Annie
    13 years ago

NutraSweet = artificially sweet
    Barbie Doll = not natural or real looking

I have no other comment regarding my comment made TO CAMERON about her not being a "NutraSweet-Barbie Doll Woman."

However, here's a comment almost as totally unrelated to my comment as was that little snip:

NutraSweet - The mother of one of my daughter's best friends invented the formula for NutraSweet years ago and named it. She lives in South Carolina. She sold the patent and they are very, very rich now. I am so happy for her!
    I told her it was great because it also added another word to my extensive vocabulary. She thought that was outrageously funny. :)

Freda,

I love their articles. Hey! How come the magazine is so small now in dimension, and there are so few pages as compared to their previous issues? Are they downsizing or was this just a special mid-summer addition?
    Whata whata???

• natal
    13 years ago

Picked up a copy today. That's a great article for people dealing with deer! Good job!

Annie, SL changed their format dramatically in recent years, but the changes actually were set in motion when Time-Warner bought them in the mid 80s. That's about the time I stopped subscribing.

...and slightly OT for those who like to cook ... someone on the Cooking forum made the Greek Turkey Burgers on page 122. He said they were phenomenal!

• pippi21
    13 years ago

I've been to 3 stores and not a single copy on the shelves. Will stop by B&N tomorrow and see if I can't find it there. What is the title of the article and what page is it on?

• DYH
    13 years ago

The article is "Not Tonight, Deer!" on page 52.

Many magazines and newspapers are losing advertisers and are cutting the number of pages. Southern Living was ranked #19 out of the top 100 magazines for subscription revenue in 2009. I think they have a loyal following.

• prairiegirlz5
    13 years ago

Congrats Freda! I too really enjoy seeing and reading about your gardens. I will look for the article.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

I've been to 3 stores and couldn't find SL, so today I will in in an area where B&N book store is, so will try there. My neighbor also gets SL but hasn't rec'd her copy yet.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Barbara, we miss your postings or do you post on the MG forum?
    We finally are getting some light rain this morning, much needed! Everybody get out there and dance for more or for an all day rain would be better.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I spent a wonderful lunchtime in Savannah today in the park with a GIANT cup of coffee and a copy of Southern Living. I finally found a copy!!!
    Congratulations Cameron! The photo they used of your garden (and of you) are lovely.

• natal
    13 years ago

Wanted to let y'all know that I tried one of the ice cream recipes featured in the same issue.

Best ice cream I've ever made! I omitted the pecans and subbed dark chocolate for the semi-sweet.

Instead of linking the article from the magazine I'm going to link a blog post where someone else made the ice cream. She had a beautiful table setting in her cottage garden!

{{gwi:689712}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Mocha Latte Ice Cream

• natal
    13 years ago

Could only find this thread by Googling. It won't come up in a GW search.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES