Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Garden phlox

pippi21
13 years ago

Garden phlox are new to me. A church friend gave me one last Fall and I've babied it along and it has yet to bloom, but it's early in the summer. Don't know what color it is but she thought it was purple. I rec'd another one that is supposed to be pink at a plant swap. I just moved it today to another location. The leaves at the bottom were yellowing, and some dried and shriveled up. I've been watering it every few days because of the extreme high temps we have been having. I mixed up 1 Tbsp. of Miracle Grow tomato food with 1 gal. water and pour around the plant base. I figured it would either cure or kill and I hope it cured. What do you feed your garden phlox and is there any special thing I need to know to care for this plant?

Comments (16)

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

do you mean the tall kind?

Mine get powdery mildew. In the past I've just let it go, but this year I bought a fungicide to treat blackspot and PM - so I decided to use it. so far I haven't seen an improvement, but I only applied my first dose last weekend and it says it's an every 6 weeks application.

I transplanted a few clumps from a Coworker's yard a few weeks ago. They limped a long for a while but they all seem to be doing better now. The stalks on one clumps died completely but I let them go to see what happens. I just noticed this morning that there are new leaves growing from the base so I think I'll cut the stalks off and see what happens. I bought 2 smaller plants this year (should stay under 24") and the leaves on both yellowed a bit but I haven't treated them any different. they get watered if I have the hose out to water everything in a dry spell, but no special treatment just for them.

I have found them in general to be rather carefree and I really don't baby them at all.

Hope that helps!
    ~Andrea

• ianna
    13 years ago

When it's high sun and prolonged heat, it's not safe to feed any plant fertilizers. Most especially if you just tranplanted it. The roots are unable to absorb these nutrients and worse, it can burn the roots adding to the problems. Your plant is suffering from transplant shock. Usually you would transplant only during cool weather - when it's hotter the risk of transplant shock is greater. It's just best to keep it moist by adding mulch.

the best kind of phlox is the DAVIDII types- they won't get mildewed.

• pippi21
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I rec'd the plant the first Sat. in May and transplanted it probably 2 days later, but near the hydrangea bush. Since then, the hydrangea has started blooming and it is lush with blooms, thus the heavy blooms were laying on the garden phlox, and it kept looking like it needed water but I was watering, so I thought maybe it would do better another location, so I moved it today, before the rain came.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

Hi, I grow alot of different phlox and lose some every year for some reason. It might be a new one I planted or one i've had for years. It also gets yellow leaves on the bottoms of some them and I don't have a clue why!! I have started spraying them with Bayer Advanced Disease and I never have mildew on any of them. That stuff works great on everything. I have to spray my roses every week or so and I give my phlox a shot of it every now and then, and my rhodies, peonies, tulip trees and hydrangeas. It probably needs some more sun than you are giving it too since you said it was planted beside a hydrangea but not sure really how much they are supposed to have. I am experimenting with some this year and have them in spots without so much sun so we will see how they bloom and rebloom. If it makes it the bush will get bigger and bigger every year and you will LOVE it. Its one of my favorite plants. If the yellow leaves at the bottom bother you just plant something thats lower growing in front of it to cover it up. Once its done blooming cut off the dead bloom and it will rebloom. YAY!! Have fun and enjoy, Judy

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize you could grow phlox as far south as GA!

Anyhow, I always got mildew on my phlox. I have been spraying with sulfur this year, and no mildew.

The yellowing leaves may be normal if you transplanted in late May and I'm sure it gets hot down there. I transplanted one up here in Cleveland in early May and it was ok. They wilt if I don't provide enough water, so I would guess the yellow leaves are from the heat and transplant shock.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I grow many kinds of phlox with varying degrees of success. Some eventually peter out (but I admit, in rock hard soil and a three year drought, who wouldn't???)...and there are TONS of different kind of phlox.
    My first is Woodland Phlox
    Next is phlox caroliniana which moved to the back of the perennial garden in the small garden in the front yard. It needs to be swapped around.
    Coming up will be Nicki, David, and solid pink, pink with eye (probably Eva Cullum) and then another which I thought would be shorter but it has proven to be quite tall (and very drought resistant) - Shortwood (nothing to do with it's height, apparently).
    Mine do not get mildew at all, I chose varieties carefully to be mildew resistant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oodles of phlox cultivars and varieties!

• pippi21
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just came across your posted message and Maybe I'm watering it too much. I bought several bags of leafgro and was wondering it I did the new phlox up and add leafgro in the hole and replant it, if that will help? What about using a soaker hose there? I think I have it mulched..better check this morning and take a picture of it. Only thing is that I don't know how to post pictures and am not computer savy at all. One of these days I'm going to hire somebody to sit down and teach me how to put all my flower pics into an album so I can show it as a slideshow.

• pippi21
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just looked up Blue Paradise and Eva Cullum garden phlox on Bluestone perennials website and it states that these are heavy feeders. Stupid question to ask but exactly what does that mean in the gardening world? Fertilizing?

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

Hi Pippi!! You know I have several Eva Cullum and I never fertilize mine unless I give it a drink of alfalfa tea for the heck of it. I am assuming thats what heavy feeders means but I never fertilize my phlox and they always bloom great year after year. Hopefully someone who does fertilize will chime in here. I have picked up most of my phlox at Home Depot and Lowes and several different kind at some of the local nurseries. Good luck with your plants and enjoy the beautiful blooms. Make sure that after it does bloom you cut off the dead bloom and it will bloom again in a few weeks. Have fun, Judy

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    13 years ago

Pippi, I grow both Norah Leigh and Rbert Poore and find both to be tough as nails. My Norah Leigh was planted in front of a rhododendron which was beginning to overtake it, so I cut it was back and transplanted it. I then had a series of 90 degree days. The plant didn't even miss a beat.

I mulch with composted manure in the beginning of the spring and that's all I do for them.

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

I've grown them for over 30 years. They grow in large flower beds and get fertilized and watered with everything else. The older varieties are prone to powdery mildew and will lose most of their lower leaves. I keep those in the back of the beds. I do not use any chemicals but do try to water early in the day to allow all my plants to dry before night.

My beds are composted and I mulch with shredded bark or grass clippings. They like lose, well-draining soil and do grow and flower better when well fertilized. I add Plant Tone to all my beds in Spring and supplement during the summer with MG every few weeks. I find them easy growers and absolutely love them.

Jane

• gizmo1947_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I started growing phlox 10yrs ago. W/ eva cullum,laura,david,nicky, and blue paradise. What started out as a few plants is now aprox 100. I have a half acre perennial garden and I can't dig them out fast enough. They are pretty in the fall but would love to get a handle these plants. They love my soil, the conditions and have turned my garden into their breeding nest! Help!!

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

sheryl - are you looking to give them away? You're welcome to pack up a box full and send them to me--there's plenty of room for them on my little green acre. I also plant my neighbor's flowerbeds so I wouldn't have any trouble finding a spot for them.

Otherwise, could you pot them up and put them out for sale?

• Annie
    12 years ago

I have gobs of Fanick Phlox. They were bred for the hot, humid South. They do not mildew or drop their leaves. They bloom and bloom and bloom. I cut off the old blooms that had gone to seed and trimmed back their stems to half the height about two weeks ago, and boom! They are blooming like gangbusters again. Tall Phlox are Butterfly magnets like no other flower in my garden.

This photo of Fanick Phlox with Daylilies was taken last year when we only had a bad drought. (...and I thought "bad drought" was as bad as it could get! Sheesh!)
    {{gwi:689858}}

I would like to trade with someone for the variegated Nora Leigh, or Robert Poore or Eva Cullum.

~Annie

• silvergirl426_gw
    12 years ago

Eva Cullum is great for me too. They love sun, and I always give the beds compost in the spring. But both David and Nicky have spread and spread. They are the dependables, the no-fuss flowers of high summer for me. One can never have enough Eva C., IMO.
    lucia

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath