Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyinwv

Look at this pretty, unplanned combo....

tammyinwv
13 years ago

I already had the peach colored lillies in the back. Although I hardly ever got to see them bloom because the deer always ate them off while still in bloom. Not this year tho, I get to enjoy them.This year I planted my ws seedlings of Nicotiana Lime green in front. Not really thinking about they would look together.

{{gwi:689906}}
Tammy

Comments (17)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I like combos of pastels. Very pretty.

• ianna
    13 years ago

Isn't that sweet. I love it.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Lovely pastels.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Well, it looks fabulous together. Great job, preplanned or not :-))

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Very pretty!!! TFS
    Kathi

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone.
    Tammy

• DYH
    13 years ago

Lovely! Glad the deer let you enjoy the blooms this year.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    13 years ago

A most excellent combo indeed.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Don't you just love it when an accidental combo works that well.

I believe that lime green would work with any color.

I find the peachy pinks of my daylilies are the hardest colors to deal with. I never have a true pink with them.

I have one that I have moved several times and still haven't found the perfect companion for the color.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Very pretty. I love those lime green Nicotianas.

• Annie
    13 years ago

The Nicotiana (tobacco) plants may be why the deer left your daylilies alone.

Beautiful plant combination. Love those colors together. My spare bedroom has those colors. That is a beautiful and elegant daylily. I hope I can find one like that. Tres chic!

Nicotiana is a great plant to go in the Cottage Garden. It couples with everything so splendidly. Tall, light and airy.

~Annie

Elegant combination you have there.

• gardenbear1
    13 years ago

I like the looks of the colors in your garden, allmost the same as mine but with yellow lilies

Bear

{{gwi:689908}}

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your kind compliments.
    Annie, I didnt know nicotiana was a deer deterent, but i have to attribute everything else being left alone due to the milorganite. I even had tulips for the first time in years. As much as i have raved about this stuff, people are going to think I am getting compensated.
    very pretty Bear, i especially like the delicate white flowers
    Tammy

• pippi21
    13 years ago

TammyinWV..tell us how you use the milorganite? I know it is supposed to be a deer deterent, do you mix it in with your soil or just sprinkle on top of your regular mulch? Is the Odor that noticable to humans?

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pippi21, I notice only a slight odor when I am handling it. Last fall I snipped some lengths of panty hose or old knee hi's to make little bags, and poured roughly a cup or so in each bag, and hung them up in trees at arms reach, approx 20 feet or so apart. I encircled just my back yard. Didnt put any in the front.I didn notice deer in the back yard all winter. But I did have them within 12 feet of my front door, leaving droppings on my walk, and rubbing my new willow tree almost in half. Spring came, and I was still feeling a little nervous about it working, since only spraying every month or so helped before. So I then sprinkled a little directly on top of the ground encircling my backyard. Since last fall nothing in the backyard has been touched. I even had tulips bloom for the first time in many years. Usually they ate them off as soon as they set buds, same with my daylillies. Hostas were munched etc. I have not sprinkled anymore and still no problems. Before I just mixed a concoction of garlic, hot sauce etc, that worked very well, but you have to cath the plants early before the deer hit and keep applying. The milorganite has been absolutely no hastle, no problem, and no odor unless you are nose to bag trying to smell it.
    Tammy

• Annie
    13 years ago

Milorganite...

Well that was information you left out.
    I had never heard of this product before. I looked it up.
    Improved sewage sludge. Cool.

So that is supposed to deter animals from your garden because it smells like humans - we may not be able to smell it, but the animals do. Hmmmm, very interesting.

Glad you found something that works so well for you.
    Your flowers are beautiful!

Back in the 70s you could get sludge from sewage treatment plants and then in the 80s they stopped allowing it. My parents used it for years. It broke up the red clay in their yard and turned it into rich, black soil, along with truck loads of leaf mold they added. Dad swore by it.

I would like to read the studies done on this product if there are any.

I will have to investigate this further.
    Thanks.

~Annie

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    13 years ago

To be honest Annie, it was kinda tough in the beginning to get my head around what this stuff is. I wore gloves and everything. But according to info, with the processing its even safe to apply to veggie gardens. I didnt do that, but I suppose its no worse than the horse manure,lol. But I drew the line there anyway. I have heard comments even from relatives on how great this stuff is to even green up lawns.There is lots of documentation to read online as well. As long as it keeps working for my deer, I am happy.
    Tammy