Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Flowers that reseed easily list

pippi21
13 years ago

Columbines, forget-me-nots, johnny jump-up, calendula, evening primrose(yellow) I bet there are a lot more but I'm drawing a blank right now. Feel free to add to the list.

Comments (40)

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

rose campion, malva (zebrina), violets, poppies
    I am sure more will come to mind, so I may be back :)

• natal
    13 years ago

Cosmos, zinnias.

• natal
    13 years ago

Scratch that. I read seed easily instead of reseed.

• ghoghunter
    13 years ago

Nigella, Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate, Fennel, Dill, Rudbeckia, Foxgloves, and Persicaria Painter's Palette.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Amaranth, paludosum daisies, california poppies, larkspur, red flax.

• daisychain01
    13 years ago

jacob's ladder reseeds everywhere in my garden as does bleeding heart.

I always smile when I see these for sale in garden centers because I know I'll be digging them out and giving/throwing them away.

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

see here's one I forgot :)

peach-leafed bellflower

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

sweet william

• maozamom NE Ohio
    13 years ago

agastache
    amaranthus

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    13 years ago

Echinacea, Helianthus Summer Sun, Verbena on-a-stick.

Start with one, wind up with lots and lots.

• DYH
    13 years ago

ageratum (Eupatorium coelestinum)
    cornflowers
    gaillardia
    blue flax
    pink linaria 'Canon J. Went'
    amsonia hubrichtii
    vitex (tree)
    buddleia 'Royal Red'

• cindysunshine
    13 years ago

Nicotiana and cleome, too. I have been working out of town for 7 years doing very minimal gardening and there they are to greet me this year. Clary sage used to be great for me, too - it finally is gone, but it was so kewl and did reseed.

I have others already mentioned here - nigella, larkspur, columbine, rudbeckia hirta, parsley. Tomatoes in the vegetable garden, too!

• cindysunshine
    13 years ago

And I hit enter but nasturtium and morning glory reseed for me, too. I find petunias coming back up in pots or around the edges of the flower garden.

I, too, have rose campion that does really well - such a lovely thing that fills in for that vivid deep magenta between the spring peonies and the early summer daylilies. :)

• lisa33
    13 years ago

Verbascum, Lunaria Annua (Honesty, Money Plant), Silene, Alyssum

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    13 years ago

Pulmonaria

• okprairie
    13 years ago

Hollyhocks - and am adding cosmos and zinnia back to the list. Black and blue sage reseeds as well.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

add to all of the above

oxalis
    crepe myrtles
    violas - love my reseeders
    violets
    hardy begonia
    hellebores
    black eyed susans
    datura (moonflower)
    salvia
    parsley

Lynne

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Many of mine have already been listed and some of them I always wish I had dead-headed more thoroughly (shastas and feverfew especially). The peony poppies, forget-me-nots, and johnny jump-ups are my very favorite self-seeders and I never get enough so should seed more.

• jovy1097
    13 years ago

For me in the South, the best re-seeders are larkspurs, zinnias, Autumn Beauty sunflowers, nigella, Grandpa Ott morning glories, tithonias, portulaca, vinca, four o'clocks, and cosmos.

• silvergirl426_gw
    13 years ago

I don't think anyone said lupine -- as in Miss Rumphius. Also morning glories.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Here in my southwest Missouri garden the list is as follows:

Most all salvias
    melampodium
    ageratum
    zinnia
    marigolds
    poppies
    larkspur
    snow on the mountain
    kiss me over the garden gate
    nigella
    rudbeckias
    heliopsis
    feverfew
    Four o'clocks
    petunias
    gaillardias
    bronze fennel
    dills
    Jewels of Opar
    vinca
    globe amaranth
    cosmos
    cleomes

• ianna
    13 years ago

lavenders. I found several seedlings in my yard.
    Lady's mantel
    cornflowers
    coneflowers
    phlox (mine gave many seedlings)
    russian sages

• irene_dsc
    13 years ago

I think the only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is nepeta (the short one). That thing self-seeds like crazy! Also, geraniums - but the seedlings haven't bloomed yet, so I don't know if they came true.

Also, I have or had cosmos, larkspur, echinacea, blue flax, nasturtium, violas. My bleeding heart hasn't self-seeded - yet.

• njmomma
    13 years ago

marsh mallow
    morning glory
    echinacea
    rudbekia

• mudsnake
    13 years ago

Salvia coccinea reseeds especially well.
    So does cypress vine, but once you have it, it is hard to get rid of.

• grspirit
    13 years ago

monarda and yarrow.

• Annie
    13 years ago

Well, Glenda posted all of mine and other people posted Salvias and the others that reseed for me....hmmmm

Ah, Rose of Sharon. It's a shrub, but it reseeds easily here in Okie. I have little volunteers under mine this year.

I California, Mother had Geraniums that came up as volunteers, all varieties. How about California poppies and Statice for a sunny garden area.

Passionflower vine (Maypops) and Bittersweet vine - both.

Cannas (if you let them go to seed)
    Pentas (not as easily here, but it does0
    Gerbera Daisies (ditto)
    African Daisies (ditto)
    Painted Daisies (ditto)
    Coreopsis
    Ageratum (all kinds)
    Irises (if you let them go to seed)
    Daylilies (ditto)
    Perilla (can become a pest)
    Coleus
    Forget-Me-Nots
    Violets
    Pansies
    Violas (including Johnny-Jump-Ups)
    Cat's Whiskers (in the South) I LOVE THESE!
    Cleome (big time)
    Vinca (Periwinkles)
    Joe Pye Weed (All plants in this family are big reseeders.)
    Butterfly weeds (Asclepias)
    Thistles
    Sweet Annie (Artemesia annua)
    Silver Kng Artemesia (pretty for wreaths but invasive roots)
    English Daisies
    Snow-in-the summer
    Ice Plant, Rose Moss and all other succulents self-seed
    German Chamomile
    Chives (big time)
    Also, Jimsonweed is a BIG self-seeder. (AKA Devil's Trumpets).

Did anyone mention Foxgloves? I read through three times and didn't see it.

It just depends upon your soil and the region you live in too.

~Annie

• mulchitup
    10 years ago

Here's a unique one I love in and around my vegetable garden.....Borage. Attracts tons of bees and supposidly keeps the nasty horned tomato worms away!

• MilaB
    10 years ago

My reseeders are feverfew, betony, hyssop, foxgloves, and my very favorite brunnera. As long as we are talking about reseeders, I have a question: I bought some plants this year from Annie's Annuals, so a little pricey, and some of them were annuals which I don't normally buy, but I purposefully bought plants that it said were easy reseeders, so I hope to see them all again. Is there anything to do to encourage reseeding? Like, I noticed this year, I have basically no reseeding, and I am wondering why that is (so as to make sure I don't repeat it next year with these annuals!). It was a particularly hot, dry summer last year so that is one variable. Also, I mulched heavily for the first time ever. Don't know if either of those things had anything to do with it. Any advice on how to encourage reseeding would be appreciated!

• luckygal
    10 years ago

MilaB, heavy mulching will eliminate much of the self-seeding altho not all. Last year I removed most of my self seeders and mulched heavily but some seedlings have come up. I've been weeding out lots of feverfew this spring, that plant is very persistent. If you push back mulch in places and scatter seeds on the soil they'll grow.

Most of my reseeders have been listed altho I didn't see Iceland poppies. I don't have many left as they mostly get mowed or maybe the horses eat them in my outer yard.

While some reseeders can be good it's too easy for a garden to turn into a jungle! Don't ask me how I know this! LOL I'm not letting them take over again.

This spring I found 3 tiny plants that look like catmint and the only catmint I have is Walker's Low. Does this plant reseed? I had read the seeds are sterile so didn't expect seedlings. Anyone else have this plant self-seed?

• luvgardening_ma
    10 years ago

I've also had liatris,yellow scabiosa,wild ginger, and sanvitalia along with lots of those all ready mentioned. Forget me nots would be my favorite. :)

Marlene

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

knaytia, scabious, pulsatilla (to my joy), achillea, alliums (various) corncockles, cardamine, ursinia, layia, mallows (all types), valerian (annoyingly), cerinthe, sunflowers, species tulips, geum rivale, geum chiloense, campanula rotundifolia (and various others), petrohagia, many hardy geraniums,

• MilaB
    10 years ago

luckygal, I had a thought about your reproducing catmints. This spring, I was pinching back some catmint plants, and left the little tips scattered on the ground. And darned if they aren't trying to turn themselves into new little plants! They are definitely still very green weeks later, and turned themselves upright.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

MilaB, the small plants I found might have come from deadhead cuttings I didn't clean up well, I'll never know. If so I may strew some around this year and see what happens! Two years ago in the spring I deliberately took many cuttings from the Walker's Low Catmint I had bought as a small plant the year before. I used rooting compound and stuck them into pots of good potting soil. Despite my neglect over the summer many survived and are now fairly large plants. So I think you will have more plants from those cuttings.

This year I've found a few delphinium babies that are obviously from seeds. Have moved them to other areas and hope they survive. I also always have lots of Columbine, Lamb's Ears, and Jacob's Ladder plants from self-seeding. I seldom dead-head those as want more Columbine and Jacob's Ladder and the bees love the Lamb's Ears so much I can't bear to remove them. I just give away or throw away extras.

• grannymoo
    8 years ago

I have a small (1 1/2 in across) delicate bell shaped flower about 6-8 in tall usually in pink to salmon shades that reseeds itself. It does not seem to be mentioned here, I've known the name, but can't remember it. I'm giving some seeds to a friend and would like to tell her the name. It's not a real popular name. Can you help?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

Can you give us a location? Or even better, a picture?

• grannymoo
    8 years ago

I finally found the name on Ed Hume seeds sight...it is Godetia, they easily reseed themselves. I can send them on to a friend, now knowing. Love the plant and flowers. THANKS

• bellarosa
    8 years ago

Here in my zone 5 garden: Laura Bush petunias, larkspur, nicotiana, rudbeckia, agastache, feverfew, scabiosa, shasta daisies, catmint, lamb's ear, clary sage, solidago, hollyhock, ladies mantle, perennial geranium, coneflowers, helianthus lemon queen, joe pye weed, asters, phlox, poppies, sweet william, allium, daffodils, monarda, yarrow and hardy mums like clara curtis. I'm sure I've forgotten a few...

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus