plantmaven

cute idea

plantmaven
11 years ago

Aren't these cute.

Comments (13)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Kathy, THANK YOU for sharing, I have just the spot for one of these, I was going to put up a frame full of succulents but it would have been too shaded. Ohhhhh the possibilities, the wheels are turning :).

Annette

• DYH
    11 years ago

Those are very cute!

Many sedum varieties do well even with partial sun/shade. I have ground cover of sedum 'Blue Spruce' and small pots of sempervivum growing beneath a crape myrtle. Thyme and dusty miller also do well in partial sun/high shade in my zone.

Cameron

11 years ago

Since I don't have my rather large fuchsia collection anymore I have room in the greenhouse to house some of the more tender succulents in the winter, sooooo, yes, Annette is off on another tangent, hey it keeps me young and mobile and.... they are a lot easier to look after than fuchsias. I've had several visits to a little succulent nursery on the mainland this past month (weekdays the ferry is free for us B.C. golden oldies :). The succulent selection is fantastic at this little nursery. I bought a smaller frame to plant up just have to decide what to put in it, decisions, decisions, decisions. This picture was taken with a cell phone, not the best but still mind boggling at least for me

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

Those succulents are just beautiful! And they can handle some shade? I'm looking for something to keep the yard looking interesting all season. Will those survive left out during a cold winter?

Martha

11 years ago

docmom, most but not all of these are tender succulents, in my zone 7-8 I have to put the tender ones like echiverias and such in my greenhouse (kept just above freezing) for the winter but you could do the same thing with sempervivums (hen and chicks) and hardy sedums.

• ianna
    11 years ago

I agree. I tried to do the same with the echeverias and they just don't do well in our zone. Sempervivums though come in so many varieties now and you can create something just as spectacular.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Those are very clever!

TM

• thinman
    11 years ago

Those are very clever!

TM

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Very nice,all of them.
    Kathi

• lavendrfem
    11 years ago

I love this idea! I'd love to hear more about the how to.

11 years ago

lavendrfem ~ you can either buy or build frames, I bought the small frame, there's another that holds more and shallower, might be better for succulents. I think the picture I posted is made up of four of the frames I bought.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Bright Green

• User
    11 years ago

a variation on the auricula theatre beloved of victorians (and me).

• molie
    11 years ago

Wow! Wish I could do this here in New England, but the winter temps and wind are too fierce.
    Molie

Sponsored