Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with a decision

Posted by ianna Z5b (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 12:47

Hi,

I'm planning to order 2 David Austin roses this coming fall and need some help on making a decision. I am choosing flowers that are pink and want repeat bloomers throughout the summer. These are the selections I would like to narrow down to 2:

Geoff Hamilton
Brother Cadfael
Mary Rose
Huntington Rose.

I want blooms that are very double cupped and large. If any of you have experience with any of these plants I would love to hear from you. Tell me if these are okay, or are there any issues with them.

Ianna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with a decision

Ianna, you might want to post this on the antique rose forum. You need info from people in your zone. My experience would be worthless to you. Old Garden and Austin roses are all that is generally discussed there and the people are good to help anyone with rose questions.
kay

o

Hi,
I posted a similar message a while ago on the Roses forum, and got a ton of great advice about specific roses in our zone. I'm not sure whether all of the roses you listed were discussed, but it might be a decent read. I ended up with Eglantyne, the Alynwick Rose, and Sharifa Asma, I think.
Happy shopping!

o

Thanks. I had already posted my question in the rose forum and got an ample of responses. I probably won't make up my mind until the mail order company posts their offerings which will be in Sept. Unfortunately, they were not offering Eglantyne this particular season. I have expanded my choices though and so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Another thing that will help make my selection is that the rose must be able to do well in a mix border.

o

My mom has Mary Rose. It's very pretty, but the flowers don't seem particularly large. She's only had this rose a few years and it's still fairly small.

When she was looking for roses, she really wanted a Brother Cadfael rose, but found a great deal on the Mary Rose...and was able to smell it at the display garden. She loves the fragrance, but would still like to find a Brother Cadfael :)

o

Lavendar Lass...is it your mom that blogs? I was following it and I haven't seen a post for quite some time...loved her ... timing LOL
Don't know a thing about roses, my Wild Spice was bought my now gone papa and am glad for every pure white single bloom!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here