Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

For Foxglove lovers (bunch of pix)

alisande
13 years ago

I have not been a good gardener so far this year, but the foxglove took pity on me and grew just beautifully on their own. They're having quite a year!

Here we have foxglove in the garden . . .

{{gwi:691633}}

Foxglove in the woods . . .

{{gwi:691635}}

A clump of foxglove . . .

{{gwi:691637}}

Foxglove (over five feet tall) by the porch . . .

{{gwi:691639}}

And foxglove up close.

{{gwi:691641}}

If only my roses (and a few other things) were as self-sufficient!

Comments (15)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Looks wonderful.

• jakkom
    13 years ago

Gorgeous, Susan! Don't you just love it when flowers grow well despite our inattention? Now if only they'd grow as well as the weeds do, we'd all have perfect gardens, LOL.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I find your foxglove just so gorgeous! Not always an easy thing to grow, at least in my garden. I keep trying to get mine established so that they are self sufficient but I'm still working on it. So, tell us what your secret is? [g] And what variety is that one?

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

They are such a dreamy plant. Looks lovely in all those locations. Great photos.

• alisande
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone! Prairiemoon2, my guess is that these started out as Excelsior. I basically have only two colors, but perhaps these two were the strongest in the mix, and thus reproduced the most successfully.

They've been growing in and around my garden for years, but I've never seen quite as many as I have this spring. I love the way they moved across the road! They also infiltrated my sad mess of a rock garden, which should improve its aesthetics immeasurably.

I dug lots of foxglove babies out of another area this week. Hated to do it, but I just couldn't envision them taking over the sunflower patch. :-)

• BecR
    13 years ago

Beautiful and magical!! Thanks for sharing with us. :D Becky

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Gorgeous pics, now I wish I had taken the time to plant some seeds. It *was* on the never-ending list. I definitely will make it a priority.

Foxglove plants confuse me a bit as there are annual, biennial, and perennial varieties. Which type are yours? Definitely a plant worthy of some research and trials. Thanks for the inspiration.

• alisande
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm pretty sure mine are biennial. I always see the babies around, sans blooms, so I figure those will be blooming next year. Sometimes they don't survive the winter, but most do.

I know I started mine from seed, but as I said, it was a long time ago.

• merindah
    13 years ago

Very pretty!

• jnfr
    13 years ago

So beautiful!

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Gorgeous,i need to get some of those as well as i love them.
    Kathi

• carrieburgess3
    13 years ago

Beautiful!!! Your foxglove is such a lovey colour.The by colour is fantastic!!! I love foxglove and yours are especially wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

Carrie

• memo3
    13 years ago

Those are just wonderful! I would love to have them spread all over my gardens what a treat that would be. Thank you for the very cheerful pictures!

MeMo

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

How beautiful they are, too! Susan, thank you for posting these. I do love foxgloves.
    kay

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

One of my favorites. I wish they would do that well here.
    Renee

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services