Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Under the privet arch

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 12:52

I just love how the fallen blossoms of the privet hedge arch litter the ground all they way to the end. The fragrance is amazing too.

photo 100_5440.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Under the privet arch

Oh my goodness !!!! So fabulous !!!! I'm with you, Schoolhouse. Privet scent is INTOXICATING. I cut branches and bring them indoors. Two branches will scent the whole house !!!

o

So, beautiful! I want an arch exactly like that. How serene and peaceful.

Martha

o

I love your arch. I don't know anything about privet, but it seems a lot of people dislike it. Now, i will need to look it up. I am intrigued by your descriptions of the fragrance!

o

Sigh. Won't be looking for privet. Even though I am still considered mid-Atlantic here in northern VA, we are close enough to being southeast and all nine species in the SE U.S are considered invasive and have been linked to declines in honey bee populations as well as those of butterflies as privet outperforms natives. I am trying to move more toward natives here, although I can't resist some that aren't.

I will enjoy it vicariously through you, school!

Here is a link that might be useful: Private as invasive

o

I don't know about it being invasive - it's not taking over here. Gets tall like a tree. I prune 1 like a tree. The others are along the back fence line - I just let them go wild.

o

I think some varieties seed down more than others. I have an old fashioned privet my uncle planted in the 40s or 50s and it is later to bloom and not heavily, less seed. The kind I planted blooms quite a bit and I have to pull seedlings when I see them. However, four starts I got from a neighbor one year to create a screen across the very end of the arch (behind the urn) produce much larger berries and more of them. Turns out it was golden privet.

o

Perhaps instead of privet then, you can sub. another plant like say a golden chain tree or a variety of lilacs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here