Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janroze

How & where do you store your garden stuff?

janroze
12 years ago

We squeeze in both of our cars in our small almost double garage, all our lawn and gardenstuff. I am lucky to have refrained from putting wallboard there. Consequently, I have all this valuable real estate between the studs. I don't draw outlines of the tools on the garage wall, to tell me EXACTLY where they should be hung, but I am almost that bad or good - depending on your perspective.

I covered these areas with little shelves and a huge number of large nails. There is always an empty nail awaiting a clean tool. They are hung by categories, so all my smaller pruner type ones are between one pair of studs, larger saws, clippers another, all the gloves and lawn bags are on one shelf, fertilizers other another; seed, weed killers on yet another, etc.

A smooth jutting wall houses wreaths and garden carts. Small trellises for annuals, tomato cages, umbrella table and bikes hang from the joists. Around the edge sit: huge tubs of potting soil, bags of Perlite, sand, houseplant soil, garden jewelry, big pots, huge pot of stakes, snow shovels, shovels, brooms, multiple Christmas wreaths, strands of lights, Halloween pumpkins and child size scarecrows, seasonal flags, all my fused art glass supplies and kiln. I find I save a lot of time and frustration with my lousy memory and this method.

I love aftermidnight�s idea of a hook by the door for my fav tool. I have one just inside the garage door off the entry, but by the back door would be great for my teeny pruners for deadheading the patio gardens. I could even hang a small shadow box around them, so they look like a piece of art � which they are.

Yes, I admit, I clean my tools at the end of each day too. The good thing is this method keeps my usage of tools down to one of each kind to lug around. So if I need it again, I have to find it right away. This way, they are rarely lost unless something gets buried under clippings, but then I still have to find it immediately. I also oil my precious tools - summer and end of season. Of course, I only use my favs, but to get rid of the rest I bought and tried once or twice would be like abandoning a child I adopted. Really? Yeah, besides, I might need it one day. Huh? All of them?

Comments (10)

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Well, I store stuff all over the place!! I have a whole "shed" stuff I'm not currently using is stored in. I will eventually work back in that area again, but it needs to be cleaned up some, throw a few things away. We use the porch next door like a shed and greenhouse, I have tons of stuff under that house (thank goodness for Southern crawl spaces!!!, and I have some things even stored on the outside of the house (some tools, hidden in the rain barrel/veggie garden composter area.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Sheesh. Can you come over and do mine? I keep my garden tools in an open wooden box out on the back porch or laying around somewhere else. I never clean or oil them, ever. I keep my shovel in the catnip- usually.

I'm too lazy to walk out to the shed to get a tool. Besides, my husband doesn't let me in there because he's like you, and he keeps HIS tools in the shed. Sometimes I wish we had a garage, but then I'd just fill it up with junk.

Renee

• natal
    12 years ago

Used to be in the one-car garage that also housed my washer and dryer. No way a car would ever have fit in there. It was like a maze walking into the space.

The garage came down to make way for the addition, but not before we built a new shed/workshop in the back yard. FINALLY some real organization! Dh hung metal pegboard over his workbench and on the opposite wall for all the gardening tools and miscellaneous stuff. I don't always remember what goes where or if it's supposed to face forward (dh is a bit anal), but I do always return things (cleaned) at the end of the day. I also have a couple storage shelves for my other gardening stuff and keep all my hand pruners and trowels there in baskets.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

We have 2 sheds,his and ours,plus i have 3 of those rubbermaid cabinets for my smaller stuff.One of the cabinets holds misc stuff,one has pots and other kinds of planters,the last one hold the gloves,plastic gloves that i like to wear(think dr here) and all the small pruners,scissors,string and all the misc stuff.
    I hate needing something and not being able to go to it right away.
    Kathi

• User
    12 years ago

I have 2 garden tote bags. One I use for my seeds and old pill bottles to collect seeds in with a sharpie, old blinds for labels and such (it came originally with a few hand tools) and a larger fabric bag that I tote around my larger tools in like pruners, small shrub saws, pliers, gloves and other items I might need. My larger tools are normally stood in a corner under the eves...if rain is coming I tuck them inside the door of the workshop. My totes come in the house with me when I'm done.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I have peg boards and nails in the garage walls for gardening tools and other hardware. There is also a small workshop on the back of the garage which is now garden/lawn storage.

One year I went to a garage sale in the neighborhood and bought two small dressers to put in my garage for garden storage. Gloves, small tools, yarn, hose connectors, bags, etc. go in those.

The tools I use every day, trowel, and hand weeder, go in the bottom of a pail by the back door. Like gmjan, I have multiples that I don't often use but might. My favorites go in the pail so I don't have to dig through the drawer. I like the idea of a place to hang them so will consider that.

We used to move every 6-8 years but have been here 13 years and "stuff" has increased exponentially. Need to do a good sorting and culling.

• cindysunshine
    12 years ago

We have pegboards with big hooks for shovels and such tools. On shelves are several plastic containers where I toss in pruners, trowels, et al. There s a couple big milk crates that hold stakes.

I am pretty bad about losing tools. I take out a knife and pruner have them one minute gone the next. Often I dump my garden cart and find a pruned in between and I will come across a misplaced tool in weeding,

I don't clean things very well either and I hate emptying sprayers.

• natal
    12 years ago

This thread reminded me of the quintessential garden shed. Oh to have such a luxury!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lulabelle's garden shed

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

I store my stuff outside. Yes, outside, in the rain or shine. We have no shed and no garage. Winter time things come into the basement. I'm too lazy to lug things in and out of the basement every day in the summer, though. They get rusty and yucky. I have some naval jelly to get the rust off, and I oil things before winter. But, my tools are unhappy. We have the footings/foundation poured for a garage, and it will have ample storage, as well as a outside noot underneath the storage area. I have high hopes for nice garden storage.

gramma jan, one day I want to be like you, but I've got a long way to go!

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

Long handled tools are in the corner of the garage by the side door and some are in a garden shed over by the veggie and alot are leaning up against various and sundry trees, posts where ever I was last gardening. Small tools are in a bucket and make it back to the garage everynight. Pots are in the shade house along with a rubbermaid tub of potting soil and another tub of 'used' soil from last years containers .....

Lynne

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County