Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Are Your Three Best Tips For Growing Russian Sage?

Posted by just_me_6 WV - 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 07 at 13:21

I love Russian sage. I've tried growing it twice but I've failed twice. Can it be grown in a containter? Maybe that would be easier for me. . . .hmmmmm. . .

Anywho, what are your three best tips to help me be successful in growing Russian Sage?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Are Your Three Best Tips For Growing Russian Sage?

I planted a new Russian Sage last fall and lost it this spring. I'm attributing it to poor drainage/too much water.
I bought a new one a few weeks ago and planted it in a raised bed. I can't stop it from raining, but I hope it holds out until the monsoon stops, then I'll never water it, unless I actually see it start to wilt !

Carol

o

Give Russian sage:

FULL sun

Poor or average soil (Do not fertilize this plant)

Excellent drainage

If you cut this back in the winter, leave at least 10 inches standing.

Try again!

Guess that's way more than three.
PattiOh

o

Oh. I gotta get some of THAT!! Full sun...CHECK! Poor soil...CHECK! Excellent drainage...double CHECK!! That sounds like the plant for me! Can it handle humidity??

o

I planted Russian sage on the edge of my patio where it gets morning and afternoon sun, plus the heat from the patio stones. My lavender thrives in this setting as well. The soil is pretty average to poor because it has a fair amount of patio base material mixed in and I didn't amend it when I planted. Overall, I pretty much ignore it and it is doing extremely well. In fact, my only gripe is that it is a little too big, but I have heard that they don't like to be moved once established.

I live at the Jersey Shore about a mile from the ocean, so there is plenty of humidity. And I new here :).

Joanne

o

I don't fertilize, but have mine in a full-blown patch of 'lasagna-style' compost. It does fine. All other points are considered and have appropriate 'check marks' in the boxes ;)

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 29, 07 at 22:06

I have mine planted on the south side of my home about 1 1/2 feet from the foundation. It is growing with cactus, sedum, yucca, penstemon, etc. It is very happy there.
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here