Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janroze

How do you utilize your front porch or welcoming area?

janroze
12 years ago

How do you use your porch? 1. It�s for resting, rocking. 2. For watching nature and neighbors, garden and rain. 2. For reading. 3. To display collections of bird houses, watering cans and a few odds and ends on the baker�s rack and table tops. 4. To have a refreshing lemonade or occasionally, a small meal. 5. As a great receiving area for guests to visit until we need more space. 6. For a staging area which I COVER tools and with flats of plants waiting their turn to be put to use in the garden or containers�a huge burst of welcoming color.

To a non-gardener, this may look messy, but it�s my house, my hobby and if someone doesn�t like the latter temporary use of my porch, well, they can just go suck an egg.

Comments (11)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

I do not have a porch ;-(

Now If I DID have a porch I imagine it would resemble a mini greenhouse with tons of seeds being started in spring and tender items lodged there in the winter.
    I probably would have some sort of seating in there too, for the days it is too rainy or windy to do anything outside I could at least read there.
    CMK

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

We have two porches (one on each house). The one on this house is set up like a living room. We utilize it as our living area for all but the coldest winter months. There is a screen porch and heavy awnings to keep out rain and winter weather, so I have some old 50's furniture (the kind with removable cushions), 50's wire plant holders, and 50's end tables out there. The smaller furniture makes the space look larger. We also have an open side to the porch which is much smaller, and that is more of an entrance - plants are there, two chairs we don't often (at all) sit in...
    Next door I have a bench to sit on, but really the porch is a work area. The only people who ever sit out there in the porch are my husbands Aunt and Uncle who are also gardeners. Everyone else hauls out the lawn chairs and sits smack in the garden to snack on the tomatoes...

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I, too, am porchless altho' I have a covered breezeway between the house and garage that has served as one for generations. It's also my winter sowing pot ghetto December-April. This time of year there are several folding tables and other miscellaneous raised surfaces to hold all my winter sown sprouts--either in pots or still in their milk jug bottoms--while they get some size to them before being planted out. Once their number goes down as the season progresses, there's room for a couple of lawn chairs where I can sit, relax and rest a spell from garden chores, or take cover from summer storms. The breezeway is exactly that too--it runs east/west so there's nearly always a breath of air moving through it.

The birds fly through it on their way from the bird feeders that hang in the crabapple tree out front to the trees down at the back of the property. The chipmunks zip through it as well, chasing each other or carrying seeds from the bird feeders to stash in their burrows off the back side of it.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Oh, how timely this question is. I was just informed by DH that "the farmer's porch is not a staging area for gardening crap!" Uh Oh! I better find another spot! We have some wicker furniture on our front porch and then I also have some pots of annuals by the front door (which may also be banished because of all the dirt from watering). But, I do have a very bad habit of kicking off my dirty shoes, dropping my tools and gloves and anything else I have on me while I'm gardening, pretty much right at the front door for everyone to trip on. It does get a bit messy and dirty out there. We're having our house, porch and decks painted so I think I'll have to find a nice wicker basket or something to dump my stuff in.

I do have to say DH was so patient while I had all sorts of WS lined up on the front porch all winter and spring.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Mine is small so it holds a bench,flowers,and decor according to seasons.Here is a picture of last years,this i put out in may and it stays til labor day.

{{gwi:141305}}

Fall porch

{{gwi:692748}}

{{gwi:692749}}

{{gwi:692750}}

{{gwi:692752}}

Enjoy the view!!
    Kathi

• janroze
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The more I think about it, it's not the porch, it is the spirit of the entry and yours certainly has spirit, Kathi.
    I love it.

Gramma jan

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

Kathi, yours is what id love my porch to be like! so pretty!!!!

my porch holds our grill, a bakers rack that i turned into a potting bench/tool holder. A deck box, and patio set. its rather cluttered and really needs redone!!
    Id love to see more charming pictures if anyone has any!

• cindysunshine
    12 years ago

My front porch isn't very big but I like the way the garden frames it and that big sweet autumn clematis to the left fits with my love of just on the verge of out of control. I just stuck some wave petunias into the clay pots with the obelisk things I've had for 10 years. I like the aging on the pots they sit protected under the roof there all winter and have not broken somehow.

In the spring I often put flats of seedlings there, the brick heats up during the day and keeps them cozy by night.

I just snapped these pics in the early morning rain overnight and more coming light. It is normally much more sunn cheerful! This is the south side of the house.

{{gwi:692754}}

{{gwi:692755}}

{{gwi:692756}}

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

My front porch is plain and very small, so there's only room for a chair in summer. The roses were spectacular this year, this week they are winding down. I deadheaded, so if I'm lucky I should get a few more blooms later. The Abraham Darby is to the far left out of the photo and the new David Austin's Charlotte is out of sight on the right. It had six blooms and one more bud should be opening soon.

{{gwi:692758}}

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

I really miss my wonderful porch at my previos home!

This house as an "alley" up to the door. There are walls on each side.

The "black hole" in the center is my porch. I now have a storm door. It is a bit scarey, as someone could be standing there and no one could see them. A policeman friend told me the storm doors make your house safer. No one wants to get cut kicking them in.

{{gwi:10135}}

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Moving this up for Sanitycheck!! Hope i remembered your name correctly!! The old brain ain't what it used to be...LOL,LOL
    Kathi

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living