Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting back Montauk Daisies...

Posted by carrie630 z7bNC (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 17, 09 at 13:55

Since recently there were discussions about pinching sedums and making new plants out of the cuttings, I wanted to mention that I do the same with Montauk Daisies, (which I trim down twice a year - once in December and again in June)....

They are also very easy - stick the stems in dirt and they will root themselves...

Hey, anything to save $$, right?

:0)

Carrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting back Montauk Daisies...

Another great tip! I don't grow Montauk daisies, but they sure are pretty. Probably on the deer or rabbit menu?

Cameron

o

... Afraid to say it... so far no rabbit or deer damage on them, but maybe they never made it to that section of the border..so far, as I said... ;0/

They are always such a surprise when they bloom pretty white daisies in the fall.. Somehow I always forget about them after the last "cut back".. and then around October they are filled with daisies.

I think you would like them, Cameron - (I think they smell like Fritos...)

Carrie

o

I was just thinking about cutting my Montauk daisies back, perfect time to read your post. How far do you trim them down? I will take your suggestion and try to root them too.

My 3 year old daughter is the daisy girl, she can't get enough of them. I bought Montauk to continue her daisy obsession as late into the summer as possible and they were SO pretty last fall when the only other thing I had with new blooms was my anemone.

o

I would cut them back now... just like mums, by July 4th - but most of the time I do my Montauks just a week or so earlier...

Rooting is easy - I don't fuss, but NOT as reliable as sedums, but still "do-able"... I say "what have you got to lose?" :0)

Carrie

o

I cut back my montauk daisies on or about June 1st and have seen no new growth. When should I expect to see it?

o

I've heard the name before, but never seen them that I am aware of, so I looked them up on the web just now. The LINK below tells about them not being palatable to rabbits and deer. Lots of info on this site, including rooting them, as you mentioned. Cool beans!

I want some of these daisies. I am a long-time Daisy lover.
Thanks for the post!
~Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Montauk Daisy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here