Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georich5

Time for a new Book List?????

georich5
17 years ago

About 18 months ago we all got together and posted some of our very very favorite garden books.

With new gardeners and new books arriving all the time maybe we should make up a new list.

If you want to....post your favs here and after about a month I'll alphabetize them all according to title and post them for everyone.

Please include Complete Title, Author, and a few words on why you love this book/books. Magazines too!!

I love doing this cause I can't keep my nose out of the dirt or a book.

georgeanne

Comments (2)

• slubberdegulion
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Okay, I'll bite, but since Patti has the "How To" thread going, I'll stay (mostly) away from those.

Here's a sort of gardener's vacation:
    In New York, Diane Ackerman talks about gardening/life in Cultivating Delight. (I loved A Natural History of the Senses also, which has some mentions of her passions, like rose gardening.) I can't remember there being any how-to's, but the imagery is wonderful. I remember her mentioning her sassafras trees, which I still can't get established here...grr...

Also from New York was Sara Stein, author of Noah's Garden (and Planting Noah's Garden, My Weeds, etc). She is pro-natives and will be happy to tell you why. I can't say that I agree with all of her writing, but her books have been a big influence on me.

And yet again in New York, Lee Reich grows Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden. My copy is very well-thumbed. If only I had room for a few more fruit trees..

Then, in Vermont, Dorothy Sucher buys a blue farmhouse in The Invisible Garden. The characters she meets are entertaining. While in Vermont, you might visit Jamaica Kincaid, who wrote My Garden (Book). She talks about her hatred of winter, trips she has taken and her life in general and, of course, gardening.

In Missouri (or Maine, depending), you can find Sue Hubbell discussing bees, various other invertebrates, plants, and living in the country. Not exactly a gardening book, but I've enjoyed all of her books. Try A Country Year: Living the Questions.

In California, Amy Stewart moves to a sea-side cottage in From the Ground Up. She offers up advice, laughs, and many qoutes from other authors that are great leads to other works. I also enjoyed her book on worms, called The Earth Moved.

Also in California, Peter D'Amato will tell you how you too can cultivate The Savage Garden. Okay, so this is pretty much a How-To, but if you've ever felt jealous that my bog is prettier than yours, this will be a good read for you. Actually, he makes raising carnivorous plants sound very easy (it is) and walks you through all the steps. What I liked most is his "you can do it!" way of writing.

Then, in England, Beverly Nichols has written many hilarious books about his gardening. Good campy fun. Down the Garden Path begins with him buying a new place after reading an obituary while at sea.

Stop by the Chiltern Hills where Claire Leighton writes about her garden in Four Hedges. You've probably seen her engravings used in other books. She'll tell you about her chalky soil among other things.

In Europe, Daniel Blajan writes about Foxgloves and Hedgehog Days: Secrets in a Country garden. I want hedgehogs!! He wants you to see the magic inherent in gardens. Great light reading.

And my copy of Jurgen Dahl's The Curious Gardener is still extensively bookmarked. Read about odd food-stuffs (odd to me), stinky plants, frost flowers, etc. Wonderful essays.

One of my favorite "classics" is The Gardener's Year by Karel Capek, I laugh every time I read it. Whenever I'm planting "sticks", fighting a hose, or balancing on an elbow and toe to reach a weed, I think of his book.

And last, how about some Chickens in Your Backyard? Rick and Gail Luttmann will tell you how in this very basic and low-scare how-to book. It was one of the 1st chicken books I read and it lead me on to others. I still dream of having chickens... I suppose that's sort of a para-gardening book.

Okay, can you tell it's too hot to garden today?
    Kent
    (glad the blanket flower seeds did well Georgeanne!)

• debbieca
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have a sweet book called French Dirt, The Story of a Garden in the South of France, by Richard Goodman. This one is about veggies but full of the triumphs and sorrows of a first year gardener.

A new one for me is Celia Thaxter's Island Garden. You might have included this one last time. She was 19th century but her garden has been restored by Cornell University on the original site on Appledore Island somewhere up near Mora's area. I enjoyed most her description of killing slugs : ) Poppy lovers will enjoy the chapter of descriptions of various poppies.

Arranging Flowers from Your Garden by Sunset is another how to book. It illustrates various flower arranging techniques plus it gives a season by season list of good flowers for cutting. It also presents several garden designs for putting it all together in the garden.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x