Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Batchelor buttons went to bb heaven

pippi21
13 years ago

I had wintersown tall double mix batchelor buttons and some of them that I put in a planter ended up looking like weeds so they got yanked out and went into the yard waste bag this morning. I was out working in the flowerbeds at 5L30-6 am, trying to play catch up after being down sick with broncitis for 2 weeks and before noon, I had to come in, it was 87, now it is 93..couldn't breathe so figured I'd better come inside to the AC and go back out later this evening and trim the forsythia bushes. Daughter dropped a box of yellow sedum over to me that she dug up that I've been asking for, but I didn't need but a small amount.

Comments (4)

• gldno1
    13 years ago

pippi, you know the bb seedlings do look weedy. Actually they would look better in a garden setting than a planter. They get pretty tall. I don't think the foliage is ever very attractive.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

• pippi21
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had planted some in the flowerbed too..I agree they were too tall for the middle of that planter. No love lost!

• Annie
    13 years ago

When my BBs get too tall and look shabby, I give them a "hair cut" back to about 24 inches. They come back bushier and start blooming again and look much better. It works for me.
    I love them.

If they are grown where they don't get fertilized or watered they don't get so tall and do just fine without any help from us. I guess too much of a good thing is too much for some flowers. Bachelor Buttons seeds are sown by some people here in late February or early March out along their road frontage for spring blooms and sometimes amongst wildflowers. They do not get fed or watered other than by Nature herself and they grow famously. By the end of June or early July when it gets hot and dry, they are mowed off, thereby reseeding the ground for the following year. The next year they return. I keep saying I want to do that. I even bought quite a number of seed packets, but every year I forget to scatter the seeds. Darn it.

Not a good flower for flowerpots or containers, but great in a cottage garden mixed in with other plants. So pretty. My favorite colors are the blues. I grow dark blue and a medium blue. Occasionally I even get a light blue color. So pretty with pink, white or yellow roses.

Everyone has different likes and dislikes and so it should be.
    ~Annie

• DYH
    13 years ago

I really use bachelor's buttons a lot. I deadhead and shear and they are still going strong. The garden setting is a mixed meadow look, along with larkspur, poppies, flax to fill in until the summer perennials bloom.

I use a mix of colors, but the red and true blue are really great. There are more white this year and they're working well. I sow the seeds after Thanksgiving here in my zone 7b.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: my meadow madness

Sponsored