Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cooperbailey

My climbing roses Pic from yesterday

cooperbailey
15 years ago

Hi, to assuage my guilt on not yet planting my wonderful wonderful seed exhange seeds from you guys, I am posting a pic of the New Dawn climbing roses over my little porch. At least that looks a bit cottagey. One thing at a time eh? I hope to get to plant the seeds soon. And I know it is incredibly late. sigh. Sue

{{gwi:693737}}

Comments (31)

• contrary_grow
    15 years ago

That looks incredibly cottagey. What a wonderful place to sit and enjoy the roses.

Mary

• User
    15 years ago

Oh Sue I wanna come have a glass of ice tea and sit in that beautiful space with you. Is the chair an antique? It is so perfect for the porch. You have a perfect cottage. c

• musicaldeity
    15 years ago

I am so very jealous, they are gorgeous!

• Annie
    15 years ago

Picture Perfect!

I have New Dawn in two places.
    How do you have it secured to the porch?
    Do you keep it cut back off your roof? Mine are monsters with huge trunks and terrible thorns.

I love that old chair too.

It is all really beautiful - Victorian and lovely.
    It could have been in the Victoria magazine that I loved so dearly.

~ sweetannie4u

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trail, come on by!! and then we will swing back down 'Bama way and sit on your big front porch and drink sweet tea. The chair is not technically an antique, it is from the 20s. my co workers wife didn't like the set her mother had given here even though it had been in the family since new- the rocker, chair and sofa, they were still the original color of dark brown- they are paper or hemp- not wicker as we know it. They had a yard sale and sold the everything but the rocker- because the one of the rockers was broken off. He asked me if I wanted it and you know what the answer was!! He brought it to work for me. DH looked at me like I was nuts, but he is a sport and fixed it and then painted it with his spray gun.

contrary grow- thanks for the compliment. now if I can get it together for the rest of the yard..

musicaldeity -Don't be jealous- if they grow in your zone they are easy peasy to grow, full sun, water, food once a month in growing season. Oh and someone to climb ladder and trim and tie them up as needed.:)yeah DH won't let me climb up there. call me grace!!
    Sue

• angelcub
    15 years ago

"At least that looks a bit cottagey."

Ya think! lol! I love it! I just want to come up on that porch and have a nice cool glass of lemonade. How long have you been growing those beauties? I had two out back but they got so out of control. Monstrous! You're making me wish I'd kept them. Not that I can't remedy that with a trip to the nursery. lol!

Thank you for sharing your lovelies. I am so enjoying all these spring pics!

: )
    Diana

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sorry cross posted!
    Thanks sweet annie-
    They are tied to the columns with tie wraps which attach thru some kind of fasteners. They are for electrical equipment I think- not gardening! And tie wrapped to each other for support. They were heavily trimmed last year- for years they grew together completely over the front forming a lovely arch. Which was perfect for a huge sparrow condominium. and bird poop all over the steps. Couldnt take that any more. So the plastic snake we tried didnt keep them out so after all the little birdies flew the nest, my DH chopped the heck out of the canes. He usually prunes the lateral after the blooms are finished, since they tend to jut out. Last year we cut out some vertical canes too. The rose on the left is newer by about 10 years, we have had unexplained sudden death of 3 new dawn roses- in mid bloom the canes die back- lost one on the side of the house 2 years ago. The one on the left is the only original one left of the 3 we planted 16 years ago.

How do you attach yours? Can I see a photos? Do they rebloom well for you? Mine rebloom soom but not significantly.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Wow, My New Dawn never looked that good! Now I have Awakening on the porch and am trying to remember to fertilize it. Already it looks better than its parent.

Your are just perfect on the porch and the chair is wonderful.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    15 years ago

That is truly a cottage garden photo come to life. I would sit on that porch all day and never move, it looks so pretty.

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

Lovely ramblers, Sue. I have two, which have full-size roses, a Don Juan and a Golden Showers. I doubt either could achieve the height of yours.

Lorna

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

How utterly romantic! It could be the cover of a magazine it is so perfect.

• pansyface2006
    15 years ago

Now that is just beautiful!!!! I have a couple of new dawns and they sure dont look like yours. Congrats on yours and thanks for sharing.

Barb

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

Another vote for a magazine cover.
    And a big vote for your DH pruning method. :)

Libby

• User
    15 years ago

OK Sue how old does it have to be to be Antique :) ? Me today I am afraid.

I will visit and "sit s spell" with you and then we can come "chew the fat " here on my porch. Truly lovely. c

• thinman
    15 years ago

Holey Schmoley, if my front entrance looked like that, I think I'd just rest on my laurels and not worry about planting any seeds this year.

It's beautiful, Sue.

ThinMan

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Guys, thanks for the kind words, much appreciated coming from you cottage garden gurus. My spirits needed a lift.

Trailrunner I feel antique today for sure.

Roses thrive in full hot sun, and need regular watering. I feed once a month with Rosetone. Sometimes I forget. Here in the east we prune roses when the forsthyia bloom.

• hollyhocker_123
    15 years ago

Sue,

Does Donna Reed live here?! Your roses and front porch are breathtaking! What are the little flowers in front?

Ben :)

• faltered
    15 years ago

Sue, that is gorgeous!! So cottagey and wonderful. Very welcoming. I would LOVE to do something similar, but I think DH would kill me if I trained something up the front porch.

Don't feel bad, my seedlings are still not planted. Our weather has been so unpredictable I didn't want to plant and then scramble to cover them if the nights dipped down too low.

Tracy

• fammsimm
    15 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful entryway to your house! I can envision a bride posing under that beautiful arch of roses. It's all very romantic and charming.

I think I'll join my friend Diana and stop by for some lemonade!

Marilyn

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Sort your seed packs into 'must plant now' and 'can be planted in the fall' (like poppies and larkspur).
    Somewhere online there's a list of how long some seeds remain viable -- many you can wait until early next spring.

Beautiful photo. New Dawn is one of my favorites.
    I have 'White Dawn' which is not so lusty a grower.

Nell

• diana_noil
    15 years ago

So gorgeous. I have a New Dawn climber that I planted this spring and if mine looks half this beautiful someday, I would be thrilled!

• Vikki1747
    15 years ago

Oh wow, that screams cottage! Absolutely beautiful.
    VIkki

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again for the kind words.

My DD took the pic, she is home from college and I suggested she do a painting of the house. I hope she does! I am glad she took the pic when she did- we have had unusually severe storms and they are a little worn looking now.
    foxy earth great advice,I think I will do just that! Thanks
    The little flowers in the front are oenethera -evening primrose. Wow I havent thought of Donna Reed in ages!!

Lorna- I love Don Juan( no jokes please!) and Golden Showers.

faltered, Weeelll,, they were little when they were planted, by the time they were on the columns just a little, DH was hooked. They do unhook and can lay back a bit to paint the columns. We have done that. Maybe this will help you do it!! ( am I enabling? I think I am enabling you)

• gardengirl_17
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I love New Dawn (as it's one of the only roses I've been able to grow without it getting blackspot). It is a monster though. Your husband deserves some kind of award for keeping it tame enough to tie in next to your porch steps! :) I didn't get around to pruning mine this year and it is out of control. It's going to be beautiful though --it's just starting to bloom and is loaded with buds. Thanks too for sharing your tip about Rose Tone.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

So pretty - is it fragrant??

• irene_dsc
    15 years ago

That may be a monster, but it is certainly a beautiful monster!

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It does grow quite well!! and pruning every year does the trick to keep it in check. I used to "forbid" pruning but it got kinda wild and crazy- even before it became a sparrow condo!! I do get black spot and sometimes powdery mildew and yellow leaf, but they are easily controlled- depends on if it is a wet spring or not- which it is.

Yes it is soooo fragrant, mainly because there are so many blossoms. We love to sit with our roses.

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

Most definitely Cottagey. How wonderful for you. Very inspiring for the rest of us.

FlowerLady

• mrmorton
    15 years ago

Very very nice. Love the porch. Love the roses. So very inviting. I have a few climbers, but they keep dying/dying back on me, so I have yet to achieve such a look. My arbor at the entry to the South garden has a White Dawn on one side and a New Dawn on the other. They are growing pretty well so far this year, so we'll see how it goes.

• msmisk
    15 years ago

You've done it ! Beautful, breathtaking roses. Love the chair. Your photo is now on my screensaver rotation.

Carol

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

Bump!!!! Just glorious ...

Sponsored