Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting raised bed under dogwood?

Posted by cardwellave MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 14:43

I have a dogwood tree in my front yard, perhaps around 10 years old. It is probably about 12 or 13 feet high. This year it did not flower, not sure if this is important to the posting question...but it produced the centers of some flowers but maybe got 2 petals on each one. Last year it bloomed beautifully. Did not fertilize the grass around it (or any grass) in the last year. I was thinking of doing some sort of decent sized raised bed around the tree. Really I am just looking for new areas to plant! Are there certain plants that would be really good or really not good to put under it? Would having a raised bed at all affect the tree negatively? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting raised bed under dogwood?

I've been getting some permits for doing work in my yard, and I've been discussing planting around trees with arborists. Raised beds in their minds are "no no's" because the extra soil covers up the roots that seek moisture, and digging and planting around them can break roots which can become hosts to disease and pests.
My dogwood was already placed within a garden area when we moved in, so I never had to really disturb the roots to garden around it. I'm thinking it might be better to leave well enough alone.

o

Putting raise beds over the feeder roots of a tree also smothers the roots, by depriving them of oxygen. A tree might not die right away, but it will shorten its life considerably. Someone put fill over huge old oaks in the lot next to me, they all died but some of them took 5 years or more. Shame too, some of them were 200 yrs old or more.

o

Thanks for the tips, ladies...sounds like it's not a great idea! I have some marigolds under there now basically just planted in a little top soil I put over what was there. No harm there I wouldn't think. Now where can I put another garden?? Lol!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here