Thursday's Garden

newyorkrita
13 years ago

{{gwi:694452}}

Patio

{{gwi:694454}}

View off the patio.

{{gwi:694455}}

AT hybrid lily BEST SELLER. My lilies are just starting to open.

{{gwi:694456}}

One of the last of the TB Iris OKAPI POPPY.

{{gwi:694458}}

Portulacas. I just love the colors on these things. Plus they are always in bloom.

The rose pictures for today with lots of pictures are posted in the gallery.

Comments (14)

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Very pretty, Rita. Porulacas are another plants that reseeds itself easily.

kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If they want to reseed were I have them planted that would be fine by me. Otherwise I just have to buy them again next spring anyway as I just love them. I don't know why I haven't had them before, they are great.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

Pretty indeed... what is the pink rose by the stairs?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There is no pink rose by the stairs. There is a spirea.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I think I have that lily, there are several soft orange lilies I started from a $1 sale bulb by scaling it, and now they are smattered everywhere. First year for bloom, but I think I planted them 4-5 years ago. It's a lovely color between peach and creamcicle orange. I really like the iris, that is a very pretty one!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Are your lilies upward facing? This one faces up. I had to go thru contortions to get the picture. My TB iris were wonderful this their first year. I can't wait for them to get better yet from now on :-))

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

Ah - spirea... in the picture is looks very much like a mound of my Angel roses so I was wondering if you had them too. This is what I mistook it for:

{{gwi:694460}}

Which spirea ? It would be a good substitute for the roses if I wanted the color but not the thorns :-) How long does it bloom?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know, I just planted four spireas there on the hill years ago and can't remember what any of them are. They do bloom for a long time, then you have to trim them heavily. Then they grow and bloom again. Your roses are pretty.

• hurlee
    13 years ago

very colorful! I love you mix of flowers shrubs and plants, very interesting to look at. nice work!

• mary_lu_gw
    13 years ago

You have such beautiful gardens. More than I could ever take care of! I can't believe how early everything is this year. When do your DLs usually bloom? Mine are sending up scapes and that is very early for my zone 4/5.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Peak daylily bloom here is July 4th. I don't usually see scapes until June. Been having scapes all over the place here since late May. The bloom is going to be early. Just like the roses were very early this year. Usually the spring flush starts around June 10th. Not this year, they have already been blooming away.

I just mulch evereything very heavily or I never could manage either.

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

Lovely gardens. You remind me I should do portulacas again, they are so bright.

Yes, everything is early this year by 2 to 3 weeks. A garden club is coming at the end of June and I'm wondering if anything will still be in bloom, it's all rushing by so quickly.

• newbiehavinfun
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I just discovered portalucas this year also. So great for containers as they like it dry, and a new bloom pops up as soon as the last one fades. What is the yellow flower in the pots?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The yellow flower is Bidens. Grows as a summer annual here. I never tried it before but so far it looks really good. I love the bright yellow color.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs