Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What am I?

Posted by cardwellave MI (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 15:00

Scooped this guy up for $4.00 at a sale at a local nursery. Leaves looked hollyhock like and it started opening the day I brought it home (probably prematurely). What is it? A type of delphinium? I'm not sure.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What am I?

It's a mallow - which its why it looks like a hollyhock. Theye're the same botanical family. My experience with mallows like that is that they're very pretty and bloom like mad - BUT seed like mad too! I planted them once about 10 years ago, realized pretty quick thaat they were a seeding problem and yanked them all. I'm still having seedlings pop up in the garden. If you plant it, put it somewhere where you don't mind if it seeds around forever!

o
RE: What am I?

Compare with images of Malva sylvestris 'Zebrina' - Zebra Mallow or French Hollyhock.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here