Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thyme2dig2

Before and after

Well, a new fence has brought quite a bit of change in my cottage garden.
Last year
{{gwi:695896}}

New fence/arbor......start of redesign this year..all the beds along the fence are changing. The jury is still out on the 2 medium sized shrubs by the gate, but I think once the roses get to be their 3-4' in height the proportions will be OK.
{{gwi:695898}}

Everything on the porch side is staying in place with the peonies and salvia, etc. middle beds were veggies over the past few years, but I needed to convert them to holding beds this year. I think I might just let these beds be more carefree in the long run. Veggies were tough because the woodchuck liked them better than me and had better timing! Somehow I could never beat him to the harvest. LOL!

Sharing a few more spring garden pics, even though not exactly "cottage" garden. Just pretty.

{{gwi:695900}}

{{gwi:695902}}

{{gwi:695903}}

{{gwi:695906}}

{{gwi:695909}}

Comments (9)

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Especially like the last pic with all the foliage. What a pleasure it must be to view the scene from the deck! The gardens seem casual, yet tidy and well maintained.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Beautiful,can i come sit on your steps and take it all in?? Love those purple~~~~~~~~~~~darn,can't think what they are called,having a senior moment,or as my son says a brain fart.LOL

The first pic is my favorite,as is the color of your house and the picket fence.My house was supposed to be that color,when it was painted several years ago,but mine looks more grey than blue,but i do have the picket fence.Now i want a red door,and hope to do it this year.
    Kathi

• roseberri, z6
    9 years ago

Such lovely gardens, so nicely laid out! I am always a pushover for picket fences and paths!
    roseberri

• User
    9 years ago

What a gorgeous garden! Lots of variety. Will you have climbing roses over the arbor?

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Why did you need to replace the former picket fence? Is the new one a material that doesn't need painting? The last pair of porch columns I bought are of a high-grade resin that will never rot. So far the paint has stayed on great too. You really can't tell they are not wooden.

• luckygal
    9 years ago

Beautiful! TFS

• threedogsmom
    9 years ago

What a beautiful property you have! Love all the variety too.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! The garden sure is a labor of love. I have a 14yr old with a rare genetic disorder, so it's also a good dose of therapy for me!

Schoolhouse, our last picket fence was about 13 years old and was rotting terribly even though it was cedar. We had also had very bad winds one Feb that knocked down 3 sections. We had "fixed" them but ultimately the fence had to go. The new fence was made and installed by a local NH fence company. It is cedar and very chunky/sturdy with 3 coats of white solid stain. We are so happy with it and expect this fence to last for years. He said the posts may need to be replaced after 15 years or so, but the picket sections should last forever.

You can see from this photo how the fence was rotting away. The whole fence was like this. The arbor literally fell to pieces when it was taken down.

{{gwi:695911}}

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Oh Thyme, your garden has a lovely, soft, romantic feel to it - bravo!!

Nancy.

Sponsored