Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mildew on heirloom sweet pea vines

Posted by olivia13043 Zone 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 15:36

I have heirloom vines from Monticello I planted a few years ago. They return but this year leaves are wrinkled and appear to have mildew. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mildew on heirloom sweet pea vines

olivia, I planted the "Orchid" sweet peas said to have been a favorite of Thomas Jefferson's last Spring. They over wintered and are growing great - strong, vigorous vines, climbing up the trellises (sp?) and beginning to sprawl along the ground. They are in shade this time of day but I will take a photo tomorrow. When do yours normally begin to bloom?

Because they are new to me, I have no advice but will certainly be on the lookout for deformed foliage and mildew.

o

Finally snapped a photo of my three Monticello "Orchids". These are growing on rough trellis on the back of the little barn (or my cottage as I imagined it lol). Just Wednesday I noticed what I think are flower buds on just one vine (third photo). I haven't given the plants any fertilizer for fear of just getting more foliage. So far no mildew but might be some bug bites.

photo 100_4715.jpg

photo 100_4713.jpg

photo 100_4714.jpg

o

The plants in the pictures look like Lathyrus latifolius, a perennial pea but sadly scentless. Also known as everlasting pea. The use of the term 'orchid' for this sweet pea is rather confusing since there is strain of Lathyrus odorus, true sweet peas, called 'orchid'. These are annual and scented. If you have a perennial sweet pea it will be L latifolius and I am afraid it will have no scent.

o

Yes, I know they are Lathyrus Latifolius, an unscented perennial sweet pea. Renee's Seeds call them "Garden Orchids", but I bought them mainly because it is said Thomas Jefferson grew them at Monticello.

I already have a perennial sweet pea down in the orchard that I planted many years ago, it is also unscented but its vines are a grey-green, not bright green. The flowers resemble very much the photos of the Latifolius on Renee's web site from (customers). Mainly the white with pale pink, not the darker violet or reddish pink shown. I'm thinking (or hoping) perhaps these "Garden Orchids" of Jefferson's will have some darker pink blooms.

o

Just snapped this photo of my heirloom swt.pea vines, showing the bloom color. And I'm very happy that there are dark magenta (or dark pink) blooms on one vine so far.

photo 100_4760.jpg

photo 100_4763.jpg

photo 100_4764.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here