Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Single peonies

I really like the single peonies I've added recently. It is particularly nice that they don't flop!

Miss Mary:

{{gwi:156881}}

Auntie Shirley:

{{gwi:696146}}

White Wings:

{{gwi:156885}}

I'll be looking for more to add in the fall...

Comments (8)

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Those are really lovely! I especially like the red one.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

They sure do look different from the full flowered ones, don't they? No peonies here of any kind.

• cindysunshine
    13 years ago

Just lovely! I like them, too, and agree they are a lot less floppy. Here's a pic of Krinkled White that I took a couple weeks ago. I love the little bee on the flower. :)
    {{gwi:696148}}

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy - I planted a Krinckled White this spring! Wrong time to plant but we'll see...

Rita - no peonies?!

• hurlee
    13 years ago

oh my I LOVE the red one. Adding that to my list. Have you ever seen the lacy peonies? I think a single with lacy foliage would be to die for. All of your singles are gorgeous!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Lacy foliage? You mean fernleaf peony? I have a double one of those but I'd prefer a single one. The one I have has two strikes against it. It blooms much earlier than I expected it to and makes a dreadful combination with a lilac! Also, it has a tendency to go dormant in August if, as usual in August, the soil gets too dry. I really need to move it but they apparently don't take kindly to being moved and I don't want to kill it. Maybe this year I'll get around to moving it to a better spot...

• cindysunshine
    13 years ago

I have Scarlet O'Hara that reminds me of that red one of yours - unfortunately the lovely threadleaf japanese maple that it sit daintily beneath has grown into a giant and mostly shaded it - plus I have a lot of true reds, white, deep purples in the bed and it was just too pink. I dug it out this year in the spring before it shot out buds and moved it - horrible horrible but I was in the mood. I found one little piece of root I missed that had bravely shot up a sprout and lone flower where I moved it from. Somehow I felt the faeries wanted it to live so I left it.

Isn't it funny the silly mind discussions we have while gardening between the different sides of your brain?

Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy - it's things like that that make the garden 'yours' in indescribable ways :-) I have a situation similar to that now. The birds love the hips on the Angel roses so I find seedling roses here and there in the garden. About two years ago a seedling popped up in a shady area at the edge of the white pines. I left it there, just to see what it would do, not expecting it to survive. But it did and last year it clearly decided it needed to be a climber if it wanted to get enough light to bloom - it shot up to 4' or so. We stuck a bamboo stake in and tied it to that, still not expecting it to really survive. It's reached the lowest branch of the pine and is flowering now! Now we need to do something about the rather ugly bamboo stake it's tied to if the rose becomes a permanent resident in that spot. Since these roses tend to seed and form colonies, it'll be interesting to see if any seedlings from it also turn out to be climbers! Always something interesting going on in the garden...

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus