Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

New flower pot

schoolhouse_gw
11 years ago

What shall I plant in this cute little yellow flower pot I bought today at the antique shop? It was only $6, because it has a hair line crack. Still thought it was too pretty to pass up. Maybe some thyme? violas? It's not terribly deep so something that doesn't need alot of room for its roots.

{{gwi:696155}}

Comments (15)

• cindysunshine
    11 years ago

I love that pot! I can see thyme in it such a pretty design would be nice not to detract from it.

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

I agree with cindysunshine. Thyme would be perfect.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess a trip to the greenhouse for some Thyme is in order. A silver foliage or the dark green do you think? Breezes coming through the screened window will send a nice fragrance wafting won't it?

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

Ooh, a lemon thyme would smell wonderful. There's a dark green and a variegated yellow and green.

• mandolls
    11 years ago

i like complementary colors so I would vote for purple violas.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

How about using it as a cache pot rather than a flower pot? Then you can change the plant whenever you like. The design is olive leaves so a Mediterranean herb like thyme would look nice outdoors in summer. But in the spring some dwarf daffs like t�te a t�te might be pretty indoors.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I would really like it to sit inside and on that window sill during the summer. It brings a nice touch of yellow to the pantry. I like the variegated lemon thyme sandi suggests, and I know right where to find some. This nursery began as an herb farm, so they carry many varieties of thyme. I think they even have a chocolate scented one.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Not sure how happy thyme would be indoors, even on a window sill. Do you think it would have enough light? I suspect it would get leggy.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, there should be enough light. Strong sunshine until 1pm. or so on that side of the house. If it gets leggy I can snip it back. Will give it a go and see what happens. Need to get the recipe book out!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I chose "Silver Edged Thyme" 'Argenteus'. The plant barely fit the pot so I hope the roots have some wiggle room.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Love it, another great find :).

Annette

• cindysunshine
    11 years ago

Very Tuscan...love it.

• ianna
    11 years ago

The pot is tuscan looking but it also reminds me of 1910-20s designs. Era of the flappers, tiffany lamps, William Morris designs. Great find.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's McCoy pottery, a very collectible pottery in these parts. Mostly collectors admire the McCoy cookie jars. I have a big Rooster that was my grandmother's.

• DYH
    11 years ago

Looks wonderful! Very cheerful!