Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New flower pot

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 15:44

What shall I plant in this cute little yellow flower pot I bought today at the antique shop? It was only $6, because it has a hair line crack. Still thought it was too pretty to pass up. Maybe some thyme? violas? It's not terribly deep so something that doesn't need alot of room for its roots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New flower pot

I love that pot! I can see thyme in it such a pretty design would be nice not to detract from it.

o

I agree with cindysunshine. Thyme would be perfect.

o

I guess a trip to the greenhouse for some Thyme is in order. A silver foliage or the dark green do you think? Breezes coming through the screened window will send a nice fragrance wafting won't it?

o

Ooh, a lemon thyme would smell wonderful. There's a dark green and a variegated yellow and green.

o

i like complementary colors so I would vote for purple violas.

o

How about using it as a cache pot rather than a flower pot? Then you can change the plant whenever you like. The design is olive leaves so a Mediterranean herb like thyme would look nice outdoors in summer. But in the spring some dwarf daffs like t�te a t�te might be pretty indoors.

o

Well, I would really like it to sit inside and on that window sill during the summer. It brings a nice touch of yellow to the pantry. I like the variegated lemon thyme sandi suggests, and I know right where to find some. This nursery began as an herb farm, so they carry many varieties of thyme. I think they even have a chocolate scented one.

o

Not sure how happy thyme would be indoors, even on a window sill. Do you think it would have enough light? I suspect it would get leggy.

o

Yeah, there should be enough light. Strong sunshine until 1pm. or so on that side of the house. If it gets leggy I can snip it back. Will give it a go and see what happens. Need to get the recipe book out!

o

I chose "Silver Edged Thyme" 'Argenteus'. The plant barely fit the pot so I hope the roots have some wiggle room.

o

Love it, another great find :).

Annette

o

Very Tuscan...love it.

o

The pot is tuscan looking but it also reminds me of 1910-20s designs. Era of the flappers, tiffany lamps, William Morris designs. Great find.

o

It's McCoy pottery, a very collectible pottery in these parts. Mostly collectors admire the McCoy cookie jars. I have a big Rooster that was my grandmother's.

o

Looks wonderful! Very cheerful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here