Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

My secret garden...aka the pool room.

I thought you might like to have a look at my retreat from my topsy turvy garden. I usually sit here when taking a break from weeding.

{{gwi:696768}}
DH just finished putting some more lattice up to hide the fence, it looks much better now.

{{gwi:696771}}
The waterfall/spillway, almost completely covered with ferns, looks like I'll be doing some digging and dividing in the fall.

{{gwi:696775}}
Right side of stepped waterfall/spillway.

{{gwi:696776}}
In the corner my Daphne Odora Marginata, this is the only place it will winter in my garden.

{{gwi:696779}}
When I saw this cage it just had to come home with me, looking for suggestions of what to put in it, I was thing of a taller glazed pot with a trailing ivy or.....?

{{gwi:696783}}
One of our native Maiden Hair Ferms in the foreground.

Annette

Comments (13)

• DYH
    11 years ago

Gorgeous and what a serene place to relax! It looks so cool and refreshing!

As for your cage...is there a burgundy foliage plant you like...or would a glazed container in burgundy work there? I love burgundy with gold (such as some of your foliage plants).

Cameron

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Cameron, I just happen to have a burgundy glazed pot with the little tatting fern 'Frizelliae' in it so I tried it and the pot looked nice but the fern looked like a little green blob so tried this one with the golden leaved "Miss Sharples" what do you think or.... should I go shopping, sigh, such a chore :). I do like the idea of a bit of burgundy. Annette

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

My bags are packed! Can you pick me up at the airport?

• Cher
    11 years ago

That is exceptionally lovely. What a nice job on the whole space and the plants all just top it off to fantastic.
    Cher

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

So peaceful! Ferns were my first plant love, and I still think they are the prettiest foliage plants in creation. What a lovely spot.
    Renee

• DYH
    11 years ago

Container and plant look great in the photo! Do you like the combination? I like that the plant goes through the cage sides.

Cameron

Original Author
    11 years ago

It's growing on me :).

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Nice and restful. I picture a lantern in your birdcage or a string of tiny white lights.

• mytime
    11 years ago

I love your little oasis! I might look for a pot that is a little less substantial looking for that delicate and intricate cage; and the fern and the lattice background seem to me to compete with the lines and hide the beauty of the cage. I've been looking for a cage like that (at a cheap price!), and I envision it with plants growing into it more than out of it. Or perhaps a mossy basket inside with vines that could hang out of it, with just a few tendrils going up through it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Are you accepting reservations yet? What an absolutely marvelous retreat, Annette. I love that fern in the cage-the fronds mimic wings-perfect!

Did you build the pond yourself? I would love to create a pond, but I am afraid I am just too inept and then there is the upkeep...although that could be a project for the retired one around here. Wonder how to present it so it sounds like fun...

I am going back to study those pictures VERY carefully! Thanks for sharing.

Cynthia

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments it was one of those projects that just happened, really didn't have a plan just an idea.

Kathy, sounds like a plan and come winter I'll be sitting on your doorstep :).

Christine, nice and restful, I wish, there's a 4 lane highway right behind the fence.

Renee, I've always been partial to ferns, a lot of the ferns have self seeded, we have to keep removing them. I'm wondering if Button ferns would survive the winter, if I can find one I just might give it a try.

Mytime, eventually the lattice will be covered with vines, in fact I have a Passion vine sitting in a pot ready to be planted. I already have a Silk Vine, odd little flowers that don't really smell that great but I like the leaves:).
    Lots of ideas going through my head of what to do with the birdcage it might even end up with a tree branch, spanish moss and Tillandsias, time will tell.

LOL Cyn, now if the rest of the garden looked half decent I'd be a happy camper. Yes we dug the pool ourselves or I should say DH did. We built the U-shaped planter first, then the roof, then the pool (rubber liner with carpet underlay under it for added protection), it's about 10'x4'x4' deep. Then we built the deck it gives the illusion it's over part of the pool but it isn't, note to self the planks should have been screwed down not nailed, changing a board if need would be so much easier. If we were ever to do it again the pool would be straight sided no ledges for potted plants, that itself would help keep critters out. The other thing we're contemplating is putting doors on another thing to help keep whatever out that gets our fish, we've been pretty lucky but last year we lost a few. Cyn, if you get a decent filter and a UV light you shouldn't have any problems. All we do with ours is a partial water change a couple of times during the summer and scoop anything out that has fallen in, that's it. When we do the change we pump the water through a piece of hose and I water the garden with it.

Annette

• mandolls
    11 years ago

It cools me down just looking at the pictures. When I lived in St. Louis I used to go to the climatron at the botanical gardens a lot, this reminds me a a few little niches in there. I can almost feel the mist from the nearby waterfall on my face.

The caged plant looks like it is having a "time out". If it will grow so that much of it is "escaping" the cage it will work. Otherwise maybe something more vicious like a venus flytrap that deserves to be caged. :)

• haxuan
    11 years ago

Annette, what a lovely retreat! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Oh, and that bird cage...how beautiful it is! Love it, too.

Xuan

Sponsored