Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

daylilies in bloom!

mary_lu_gw
11 years ago

Hard to believe that the DLs are almost in full bloom this early. Usually they are just starting about now. Took these pics this afternoon.

{{gwi:696806}}

This is a shot of the round bed in front of the DL bed. These roses have not been out of bloom since the second week of May!

{{gwi:328412}}

Comments (11)

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

mary lu, that is beautiful! My daylilies are long gone in this area, summer has hit and roses are about done for the long, hot summer, too!

Your yard is amazing.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

What a feast for sore eyes, I have a few bud's on mine but nothing blooming yet and with the weather we're having they might be a bust this year, thanks so much for sharing.

Annette

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Same as ogrose. Your's are always such a treat to see.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Just gorgeous. That round bed of roses...if only mine looked that beautiful and healthy. :(

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ogrose, thanks! Do you roses quit blooming during the heat of the summer?

Annette, do you really think your DLs might not do well this year? I have noticed that the foliage on mine is not the greatest and many of the scapes are shorter than usual. I think it is probably a combination of the heat and dry conditions so early.

plantmaven, now that we are "done" developing the yard as far as beds go, it seems like every year it is just more of the same. I find that I don't take nearly as many pictures as I use to.

schoolhouse, I am really pleased with the roses in that bed. There are 2 fairly large bushes in the center/back and then 2 small ones in front. All 4 are Easy Elegance roses. The large pink bushes are My Girl and the smaller red ones are Paint the Town. On the other side of the bed I have DLs.

• mandolls
    11 years ago

Wow - thats quite a feast of day lilies!. How long do you have blooms? I assume they dont all bloom at the same time (though it looks like most of them are in full swing right now).

I dont have much in the way of day lilies, just some old fashioned standards that were on the property when I moved in. I have tended towards flowers that would last well in a vase. I have been trying some as cut flowers this year mixed in with the asiatic lilies, they are working well as long as the flowers get nipped daily. It makes me think I should look into getting some others.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

When the weather turns real hot here, pretty much everything quits blooming, but once we we get some cooler weather in late Sept/Oct, everything comes back like gangbusters. I look at it like everything is "resting" for the summer, just surviving until it becomes cool again!

Don't like it, but hey, Mother Nature knows best!

• pat_tea
    11 years ago

Oh Mary lu, look at your gardens all grown up and looking so beautiful. . . I remember when it was a dirt patch and we (the old cottage crew) were trying to help you decide what to put on top of your pillar. Makes me think of dancingwithwolves and grandmajan to name a couple of cottage alumni.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mandolls, usually they bloom for a good 6-8 weeks. Usually start late June and last well into August and a few blooms in Sept. Not sure what this year will bring. I seldom cut flowers for in the vase, I like to see them in the yard, but that's just me. Also I work all day and spend my evenings in the yard, so would hardly ever see ones in the house!

ogrose, well at least you have a fall flush to look forward to!

pat tea, yes I remember well. So many of the "cottage alumni" are no longer around. I still visit but don't post as often as I used to. I am in more of a holding pattern now, just tweaking beds here and there. The rototiller is retired! Hopefully I will be too in a 1-2 years! Then I can really enjoy the gardens. If I remember correctly, you moved?

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Some of the "cottage alumni" are now on facebook. I too remember the pillar ideas. Then I posted as natvtxn. After a computer crash I was told someone already used natvtxn. Well duh.
    This heat is frying my daylily foliage.
    Kathy

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Mary lu, we are having lots of rain with only a few sunny days or part sunny days here, June can be a rainy month but this year it's been a doosey. I've only had to water the garden once about a month ago, usually by this time I have hoses strung all over the place. Some things like ferns, WEEDS, etc. are loving it, other things are looking really sad. On a brighter note I decided to grow my tomatoes, cucs and peppers in the greenhouse this year and I'm happy to say they are looking good.

Annette

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting