Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got really blessed out today!

Posted by organic_kitten 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 16:20

I decided to tackle the monstrous job of deadheading the New Dawn rose today. I had already taken care of the easy to reach part, so I got my ladder and climbed up and started clipping.

I head some "mumbling" and continued when all at once, severe squawking ensued. Momma Mocking bird was letting me know, in no uncertain terms, that she did not appreciate the intrusion. I hadn't realized she had a nest. I went to the other side and did as much as I could without disturbing her too much. I am maybe 2/3 of the way through. What a grouch!

kay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got really blessed out today!

Those mockingbirds really do let you know when you are intruding, don't they?! We used to have one that would rest atop the chimney and sing down to us. We could whistle back and he/she would indeed 'mock' us returning our whistle. Love them-grouchy or not. ;)

o

Maybe I should be embarrassed to admit this, but I have never dead-headed my New Dawn. Will it rebloom if I do so ? Thanks!

o

Yes indeed it will re-bloom but only if deadheaded. It won't give you the massive initial bloom, but it is pretty nice nonetheless. Look at your rose. It has probably made a lot of hips, and is, in effect, "pregnant" so doesn't need to bloom anymore. Dead head the monster and she will reward you.
kay

o

We have a mocking bird around here that rings like a phone.
When a say "a", I mean a. He/she is the only one here. Once in a while we see a second one.
Kathy

o

One here does a great car alarm...

o

That is so funny! They really are mockers. Momma Mocker was grumbling at me today while I picked blueberries. Tough. Can't leave them all for the birds.

kay

o

It was funny the first time or two. It does the ENTIRE thing, someone somewhere didn't shut it off, so it goes through the whole cycle (about 3-5 minutes long). Now it's like "oh, come on, learn a new one"! I think it's probably a catbird rather than a mockingbird, but I've never seen the source. You can tell it's a bird though. At least it hasn't learned from the seasonal neighbor's parrot (they come up for the summer)! Although whatever bird they have it's not a big screecher (thank goodness), it LOVES to call the cats "here kitty kitty kitty" all the time!

o

Thanks Kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here