Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

Hummingbird Picnic

A couple weeks ago I took this video of the hummingbirds at one of my feeder. I thought I would share it with you guys.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Picnic

Comments (15)

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen so many hummingbirds at one feeder so peaceful. Love it.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The feeder in the video was filled that morning, and empty by night, we had to refill it 4 days in a row. Now most of the birds have moved on, so we only 2 or 3 now and again.

When I took the video it was cold, raining and there was nothing blooming, so there was no other food out there!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That is wonderful. Love Teddy Bears' Picnic music, too! :)

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, I now call it "Hummingbird picnic"

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

That is a lovely video. Thank you for sharing it. Here, the hummers fight like bandits and control their territory like field marshals. By the way, I had DH look at the video, and he enjoyed seeing it too. And, he complemented your dining set. He said "all the chairs are different, but they go together so well. That is really pretty." Thought I would pass his comment on to you.

kay

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!
    Kitten thank your DH for me, I love my table and chairs, it started when my in-laws moved out of their home, they gave us the first 2. Then it was an adventure trying to find more, WITHIN my budget! Took us a couple years, all along looking for a table to match. The table was the last piece which I came upon by accident at a yard sale.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Love that video! I also noticed your most excellent old chairs. Those are the heavy metal ones right? Love the different colors.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep old metal ones, in need of repainting!

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

A Lovely video!! I had about that many for a a week or so also! I found they were busiest in the evening just before dark...guzzling!

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

That was so cool !

• freezengirl
    10 years ago

We enjoyed your video very much! So far no Hummingbirds have found the feeder we put out two days ago and nothing much blooming here to entice them. I guess I am going to have to purchase some commercial syrup mix to attract them. There isn't enough red on the feeder possibly for them to notice it and I didn't add any color to the syrup mixture I cooked up. There is a Hummer around here we saw on the morning we put the feeder up.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Love the video and seeing all those hummers in one place.I've gotten 4 at my feeders a few times,but like someone else said they are very territorial.

I also love your table and chairs,have always loved the older stuff,i think it has more pizzaz than this newer stuff.
    tfs
    Kathi

• memo3
    10 years ago

Jenny, that was a really fun video to watch! I've never seen so many hummers in one place before. It makes me wish for a feeder!

• organic_bassetlvr
    10 years ago

Love the video & how your hummers seem to share. There is some controversy about using the red nectar. Your birds certainly don't seem to be harmed but just in case check out one of the many hummer sites & read & decide for yourself. I just use 3 or 4 to one sugar water. I mean 3 parts water to one part sugar. You don't need to boil it just stir enough to dissolve. Again decide for yourself, I'm just passing along info, not criticizing. Also sugar water is cheaper!
    Susan

• koszta_kid
    10 years ago

This is the first year in many. Have not having line up at feeders..Have few-put not like past.Enjoyed your video.

Sponsored