Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hummingbird Picnic

Posted by jennypat Zone 3b NW MN (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 16:45

A couple weeks ago I took this video of the hummingbirds at one of my feeder. I thought I would share it with you guys.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Picnic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hummingbird Picnic

I don't think I've ever seen so many hummingbirds at one feeder so peaceful. Love it.

o

The feeder in the video was filled that morning, and empty by night, we had to refill it 4 days in a row. Now most of the birds have moved on, so we only 2 or 3 now and again.

When I took the video it was cold, raining and there was nothing blooming, so there was no other food out there!

o

That is wonderful. Love Teddy Bears' Picnic music, too! :)

o

LOL, I now call it "Hummingbird picnic"

o

That is a lovely video. Thank you for sharing it. Here, the hummers fight like bandits and control their territory like field marshals. By the way, I had DH look at the video, and he enjoyed seeing it too. And, he complemented your dining set. He said "all the chairs are different, but they go together so well. That is really pretty." Thought I would pass his comment on to you.

kay

o

Thank you!
Kitten thank your DH for me, I love my table and chairs, it started when my in-laws moved out of their home, they gave us the first 2. Then it was an adventure trying to find more, WITHIN my budget! Took us a couple years, all along looking for a table to match. The table was the last piece which I came upon by accident at a yard sale.

o

Love that video! I also noticed your most excellent old chairs. Those are the heavy metal ones right? Love the different colors.

o

Yep old metal ones, in need of repainting!

o

A Lovely video!! I had about that many for a a week or so also! I found they were busiest in the evening just before dark...guzzling!

o

That was so cool !

o

We enjoyed your video very much! So far no Hummingbirds have found the feeder we put out two days ago and nothing much blooming here to entice them. I guess I am going to have to purchase some commercial syrup mix to attract them. There isn't enough red on the feeder possibly for them to notice it and I didn't add any color to the syrup mixture I cooked up. There is a Hummer around here we saw on the morning we put the feeder up.

o

Love the video and seeing all those hummers in one place.I've gotten 4 at my feeders a few times,but like someone else said they are very territorial.

I also love your table and chairs,have always loved the older stuff,i think it has more pizzaz than this newer stuff.
tfs
Kathi

o

• Posted by memo Zone 4B Nebraska (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 19:50

Jenny, that was a really fun video to watch! I've never seen so many hummers in one place before. It makes me wish for a feeder!

o

Love the video & how your hummers seem to share. There is some controversy about using the red nectar. Your birds certainly don't seem to be harmed but just in case check out one of the many hummer sites & read & decide for yourself. I just use 3 or 4 to one sugar water. I mean 3 parts water to one part sugar. You don't need to boil it just stir enough to dissolve. Again decide for yourself, I'm just passing along info, not criticizing. Also sugar water is cheaper!
Susan

o

This is the first year in many. Have not having line up at feeders..Have few-put not like past.Enjoyed your video.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here