Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

It is hot

plantmaven
11 years ago

My poor plants are frying. It is 107 in the shade.

Comments (15)

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

OH WOW,how can you stand it?? My heart feels for you!! It's 74 here in my part of S.Calif along the coast,dh and i have been out working in the yard most of the day.Then we stopped for the day,and sat out on the patio for a bit drinking our icewater and enjoying the nice breeze.Our lawn guys should be coming soon,and we wanted to get done before they got here.

I hope you and your plants survive that heat,that's terrible!! Do you also have high humidity as well??

Try and stay cool,hope you have AC.
    kathi

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I have a/c. It is pretty miserable. The humidity is 24%.
    We are under a sever thunderstrom watch until 10:00 tonight. Boy, I hope so.

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

It looks like it might be passing you and coming here. We're in the 100's for the weekend. I'm planning ahead and watering now. Blech. I'm sorry your garden is frying, I hope it passes..!

• mary_lu_gw
    11 years ago

Stay cool! It's on it's way here too! Forecasting mid to upper 90's with humidity around 70% OUCH! I have had the water going all evening yesterday and again tonight as soon as I got home from work. It is forecast to last through the weekend for us. Couple days of upper 80's then again back into the 90's.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are still on water restrictions. We can use sprinklers only between 3 to 8 a.m. or 8 to 10 pm on Thursdays.
    We can water by handheld hose anytime.
    I guess I need to get up about 3:00 a.m. each morning to water by hand. hahaha, that is not going to happen.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Yes. It is hot here! Awfully early for this, isn't it, although last year it started in June.

Wow, once a week watering, not good! We're on twice a week, which helps at least in keeping stuff alive...

Try to keep cool, plantmaven!

• mary_lu_gw
    11 years ago

oh gosh. I don't know what I would do if we had watering restrictions! Our soil is so sandy that it heats up fast and drains quickly. For the 11 years I have gardened here we have not had restrictions. Sure hope it stays that way. Water bill will be a killer in fall even though we have a separate meter for outside water. Thank heavens!

I don't blame you for not wanting to get up at 3 AM! Although early morning watering is better than evening watering, or so they say. I just don't have that option. The way it is I get up at 5:30 AM just to get ready for work as I leave before 7 AM.

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

We don't have anything close to the heat some of you do, but we're supposed to get into the mid-nineties this week and next. And it's only June! This is one of the reasons I grow natives and perennial, mostly. They tend to have deep roots and can survive or go dormant until the rains return. Also a good argument for planting trees anywhere they'll survive. Know that I'm wishing you cool breezes and drenching rains.

Martha

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The rain did not get this far west. We could see lightning.
    If San Antonio was a clock face, I live at 10:50.
    I was thinking this morning that I will go more native or near native. The crepe myrtles are very pretty right now. There is an AZ ash that casts too much shade on the garden, and none on the house. That also means some of the cm's get little sun. For my house to get shade I would need to plant something in my neighbor's back yard.
    When my son got in his truck to leave work it was 117 inside. Normal for the end of June is the low 90s.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Oh Kathy, and I was complaining about our weather, me thinks I'll shut up. Summer is supposed to be here and spring has only on the rare occasion popped in for a visit. We haven't had much of a summer since 2009, come to think about it I was whining about the weather then too we had a spell in the 90's which absolutely frazzled me and my garden.
    I'll take what we're getting (low 70's if we're lucky) over what you've got any day. I couldn't take your temps not even for a couple of days. Wishing you some rain and cool breezes.

Hugs,
    Annette

• finchelover
    11 years ago

I called my daughter in Wichita today and she lost most of her plants last year but says so far with 107 temp she is doing OK she is also on restrictions and I am having 100"s all week but can water any time so am doing fine here in my area

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today is not supposed to be as high. It was 97 at 8:30 this morning. We'll survive some how.

• DYH
    11 years ago

Today is not supposed to be as high. It was 97 at 8:30 this morning. We'll survive some how.

That's a cooker!

We've been blessed with an incredible June with cool days and nights, along with sufficient rainfall. That is about to change!

We have a forecast of 5 days of 100+, starting tomorrow. I watered the garden this morning and finished my deadheading. Nothing else to do now, but hope for rain again.

Stay cool...and safe! 100+ is seriously bad for folks.

Cameron

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

I'm in the same boat as wonbyherwits, and just had the last of my shade trees removed :( they were dead. I just hung up old sheets over a make shift arbor out of bamboo for some seedlings, then hung sheets to shade my "shade house" which was shady before the tree that shaded it came down in the tornado a few years ago...I bought some window reflectors for the car today and bought two more for the windows. We've never covered windows during the day before, but I'm going to start. The electric bill was way too high.
    I've watered about all I can. I keep watering (we are also on restriction, every 2nd day 4-10pm, not on Sunday) and have almost used up all my saved water.
    I hope we all get some rain. Not too much, just enough.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

92 at 4:37pm. Luckily I completed an outdoor project this morning before it got hot. However, there was a good breeze for most of the day and things didn't really start to heat up until around 4pm.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH