Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Anyone from the Nashville area? Or Tennessee ?

Hi everyone! I have been so enjoying seeing everyone's pictures, and my garden has been doing well too, but I'm slowly detaching myself from my own garden because my husband and I will be moving to Nashville at the end of summer. I am soooooo very excited! I have always wanted to live in the south and we have been praying for a promotion for him and God is so good to us! We won't be able to buy a home right away , but when we do I am very excited to garden in a warmer zone. More than you can imagine!

I had a couple questions if anyone from the area could answer .

1. Is snow really not an issue ? Do you still find yourself in the garden into November ? Later than that?

2. Do you have stink bugs ? Lol I've heard they aren't everywhere in the us and I'd be thrilled if they weren't also there...:)

3. Is there Spanish moss hanging from trees? I've only seen it once in my life and I loooove it.

4. do roses do well there with the heat? I have trouble with mine frying in the pa sun. So I'm wondering how they fare there .

That's all I can think of now. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions when I am actually there. I am just so excited!!

Comments (3)

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    11 years ago

Hi Lilyfinch, I hope you find someone here as these are just the nicest people! Have you seen the state forum if you need it? Best wishes, River

Here is a link that might be useful: GW forum on Tennessee Gardening

• louisianagal
    11 years ago

Hi Lilyfinch,
    I live in northeast Mississippi, about 4 hrs from Nashville. I've never been there yet, but need to make a trip. You must make it a priority to drive some on the Natchez Trace, it runs all the way from Nashville to Natchez MS and in the middle is the visitor center in Tupelo near where I live. The Tenn forum is a very good place, it seems to be a pretty active forum. To answer your questions:
    Snow - probably get a few snowfalls each winter but it won't stay on the ground more than a few days. First killing frost is probably mid October for Nashville so that will kill annuals and most veggies. but you certainly will have mild days to get out and do things in the garden. That's when I dig trenches to border my beds, make lasagna garden for next season, clean up, cut back ornamental grasses, etc.
    2. Yes we have stink bugs but I have not had a problem with them in 6 yrs here.
    3. I've not seen Spanish moss much here but it is much more prevalent further south like Jackson MS and below.
    4. Roses do great here, I'm sure certain varieties and types do best. You will definitely want to find your local library and start reading about the South for gardening. There is a great book on roses for the south and a ton of other great southern gardening books.
    I know you will enjoy Southern living and hospitality!
    Laurie

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

I don't live in Nashville, but we visit quite a bit and I have done some consultation & design work there.
    Stink bugs are no big deal as louisianagal says. Kudzu bugs are on their way, they pose a slightly different problem (and are a stink bug) but attack legumes. Hopefully there will be natural controls in site really soon.
    No Spanish Moss
    Growing roses in Nashville is just like growing roses in Atlanta. Many of the same varieties work well, and you'll see lovely roses in many beautiful gardens around the city.
    In Nashville you can garden 12 months a year if you'd like. You can do winter vegetable gardens easily, especially with covers so you can be prepared for the super cold snaps if we have them (like an ice storm). Certain garden practices are carried out in the area that help with climate such as controlling soil moisture: heavy mulches which help with freezing and evaporation due to heat. The summer is HOT and HUMID, but the mornings and evenings are quite glorious, and you get the wonderful "southern scents" and sounds of cicadas that remind you of why you are here.
    Nashville is a fun city. If you are thinking about living there you should try and go for a visit if you can. We spend most of our time not at the tourist attractions but hanging out around the city with friends and going to some of the really great funky places they have to eat and hang out. If you prefer, there are also really nice smaller towns close by with a more rural feel, or "suburb towns" such as Murfreesboro - all which offer their own special something but gardening is all the same!

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets