Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

Today's temp...

plantmaven
12 years ago

So far is 102.

And we will go to stage 3 water restrictions, probably next week.

We will only be able to use sprinklers or irrigation systems between 3:00 a.m. and 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. every OTHER week.

Fortunately we will be able to hand water any time.

I will move all potted plants to the same semi-shaded area. And with saucers under as many as possible.

I will had to decide what gets water and what doesn't. :(

SEND RAIN!!

Comments (12)

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Feel sorry for you and hope the rain comes to your part of Texas asap. No doubt we'll be experiencing drought conditions next month.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

OMG Kathy, 102, I'd be a basket case. I start to whine big time when the temps hit the 80's here. We've had lousy weather up until a week or so ago, at least it's warm now, that is if the north wind isn't blowing. If it could stay like this all summer I won't complain. Wishing you some cooler temps and a couple of good rainfalls.

Annette

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks y'all.

It will be hard to watch plants die.

I wish no ill to anyone, but I would not mind a small tropical storm in the southwestern Gulf of Mexico. It has to be SW or it will bypass us.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Sorry! We finally got a really good rain (and a super crazy hail storm) last night after over a month with no rain and a median temp of 94 every day (actually, a bit higher in the city). I hope you get some rains soon. They kept telling us we were not in drought because parts of the state are getting good rains and our reservoirs are staying at capacity. We are always now at stage 2 drought with watering. Every 2nd day, 10pm-10am is our only watering hours. Vegetables at any time. I've pretty much gone potager with everything new going in so that I can water it and hopefully plants around can sneak a drink from them. Also have massive rain collection (I realize this is only good if it is raining) and will be moving along to some grey water units. Are you on a swamp cooler or air conditioning? At least you could collect condensate, bath water etc. if need be....

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We are on A/C. but the condensation drain is right on the ground. Thanks for the idea, maybe I can stick the pipe in a garden hose.
    I am going to get a syphon pump and save bath water.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

It's 55 today and raining...again. I know you all need rain, so I shouldn't complain, but my plants would like a little sunshine! Do you think we could send half of our weather to each other? Then we'd all have temps around 75-80 degrees, sunny, with a nice rain shower twice a week. Sounds wonderful, doesn't it? :)

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds good. Let me know when you figure out how to do that.

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

We too were getting pretty dry, not drought like you, but with our sandy soil we sure dry out fast. Yesterday we got .96 inch of rain and everything looks so happy tonight.

We've gotten up to 99 with a heat index of 103 so far this year. It is early for us to get so hot, usually that is a late July/August temp. Wonder what the rest of the summer holds in store for us? Sure has been a goofy year so far.

Hoping you get a nice day-long gentle rain soon and that your temps cool down some.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Perhaps you can dig a hole for a 5 gallon bucket and then siphon the water into containers from there? Mine is at ground level too, I'm planning to do a few things with it, including add another pump (same as the one that pumps the water out of the basement).

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The grass on my neighbors' side of the fence sure looks good in that area. It would take dynamite to dig a hole deep enough to put a bucket there.
    It is only about 15 ft. to the closest flower bed. Maybe my son can figure a way to get it from point A to point B. his Daddy was a plumber and my boys learned a few things from him over the years.
    Well duh, I just walked around there and there is an elbow where it comes out of the wall.

I also noticed my neighbor had put about 15 bags of leaves over the fence. Woohoo!

Once a day I have been running a low sprinkler for the cardinal fledglings. Now they fly to the patio and let me know when they want the water on. Last evening I could not hear the TV as they were so demanding.

The weather witches are saying maybe 30% chance next thursday.

• ianna
    12 years ago

I heard about your weather down there. Sorry to hear abou it. We in Ontario, Canada have been having a lot of rain.. and I mean a lot of rain. And despite it all, we have water conservation practises in our city. We water on those hours you mentioned but on specific days... not stretched every how many weeks. I've been fortunate because I have a perennial bed with drought resistant plants I can get away without watering for more than a week. and the grass lawn which we top up every season with triple mix is capable to going without for a week because the triple mix does act like a like of mulch. It helps that the grass sits atop clay layers.

May I suggest you have rain barrels ready? Also use the water you used for washing veggies (I won't recommend using soapy water) to water your plants?

Also, I saw this used. A scientist was trying to figure out how to harvest water from fog and he built this huge net to trap condensation and then let the water trickle down to collecting buckets. This probably would work if you live in areas which has lots of fogs and near seas or lakes.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do have two 55 gal drums. But I can't find anyone with time to adapt it for me. My watering day is Thursday.

If things die, so be it. I am not going to worry my self sick over it. After all everyone else will have an ugly yard, too.

I am more concerned about the critters and birds.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida