Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Dawn's swan song

Posted by woodyoak 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 17:46

The swag is blooming well at the moment. In 2-3 weeks though, all the ND will be cleared away in favor of clematises - and perhaps honeysuckle. Nothing with thorns!

The swag in the south alley this afternoon:
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The south gate from the 'outside':
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Dawn's swan song

Woodyoak- It's very pretty, but I can understand why you want to get rid of those thorns! Clematis and honeysuckle will be a nice combination...and much safer :)

o

Oh, I love how the little gate is all hidden by the roses. So pretty!

I just put in some trellises leading to my cottage garden. I also chose honeysuckle.

o

So Pretty! doesn't it make you just a little sad to see it go? However, with all the weather and bugs I'm dealing with this year I'm ready to think about flowers that aren't bothered by bugs or disease!
roseberri

o

Roseberri- What bugs and disease are you having trouble with this summer? What plants are you thinking of replacing?

I've moved more towards plants that do well in cold winters, don't take too much extra care and attract bees, butterflies and birds...if most of the flowers are purple (or blend well with purple), that's just a plus! LOL

Scully- Do you have any pictures of your trellises?

o

scully - which honeysuckle?

roseberri - yes, I will be a bit sad to see it go but I'm also at the stage in the garden where if I want something new, something old has to go - there's no more space to expand to... That is not the primary reason for ditching ND, but removing it does give me space to try out new ideas and that's always fun.

o

Woodyoak, I understand and did't mean to make you feel guilty! I am trying to grow a New Dawn on an arbor and it is in its second year and is only about 5' wide and 3 or 4 feet tall.
Lavender Lass I had too much rain about 3 weeks ago now too much sun and heat (high 80s and low 90s) Have never had thrips and rose midge before and have them now. Had rose slugs before and have those but not too bad and japanese beetles have come I'd like to say three weeks early! Most of the black spot has cleared up since the rain left.
I probably won't replace my roses, but one R. eglanteria, seems to have something wrong with it (RRD i'm afraid) and may have to go. Ihave lots of other flowers, salvias delphinium,foxgloves, echinaceas, hydrangeas,etc. Im just a little discouraged right now.
rosberri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here