Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
memo3

My weekend's work...

memo3
10 years ago

Took out two diseased Elm trees this weekend and turned one stump into a planter. Replaced the Elms with these three Red Oak trees. My "hell" strips are 25' wide on the north side of my house...lots of room to plant garden in ;)
MeMo

Comments (10)

• thinman
    10 years ago

Hi MeMo. Glad you're still here.

Those elms did well to last this long. I see an occasional lone elm here and there in this neck of the woods, but that's about it. Good idea on the planter!

Those oaks will look great.

TM

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

How nice to have a 25' hell strip. You can do an awful lot in there. Like how you made the stump into a planter.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Hi memo! Change is good, but lots of work too. Clever idea for a planter.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

What a shame to lose the elms, but as TM said, lucky they lasted so long. The planter is a fun idea-I may steal it-we lost an oak which they cut about to the ground, but it was hollow in the center, so there is a perfect spot to add soil and plant some flowers.

Can't wait to watch those oaks grow!

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Memo, I hate to say it, but I can tell you what you will be growing around those oaks as soon as they make acorns. Hundreds of little oaks trees. I have pulled up several THOUSAND seedlings this year, admittedly more from the water oaks than the red oaks. They are fertile little (big) devils.
    kay

• memo3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would guess the age of the diseased elms to have been about 50 years, judging by the size of the diameter of the trunks. We have a lot of elms at the ranch that are so far unaffected. One of them is at least six feet wide at the base. I'd really hate to loose that one.

I am aware the oaks will drop acorns and it's no problem. We have a plan. I rake well every fall and we will take them out to the ranch and feed them to the wild deer. Any seedlings will be replanted at the ranch to replace all the cottonwood trees we are loosing to age. .

Cyn427, good luck with your planted stump. I picked up a few more seed geraniums today and a clematis to plant in the second stump. Hoping the clematis will cascade down the sides of it.

We got the garden tilled today and will be planting seeds and tomatoes etc. tomorrow. Sure feels good to work outside again.

• Chris_MI
    10 years ago

it seems every tree has those seedling given enough time. Maples, golden rain tree, worst are the suckers that come from the roots. Very hard to remove those. Every plant has its ugly season-lilacs with all those brown dead flower head, unless you take the time to remove them.
    With the beauty comes other work. Just enjoy life and deal with everything it gives you. My dead tree stumps are never big enough to use as a planter, but make great birdbath posts.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

There is a huge dead tree in the front yard of a home on the route I drive to take my kids to school. I so wish I could rent a helicopter to lift the thing to my yard. I could find hundreds of fun things to do with giant logs and stumps. And I bet the owner is dreading whatever money it will take to get the thing removed. At some point it becomes a danger to any nearby homes, since it could fall over in a storm. Of course, I have plenty of live trees to take care of already. My husband would never go for it.

Memo, I love that container display!!!

Martha

• Deni McCarthy
    8 years ago

Does anyone know what was used to secure the pots to the tree stump in the photo with the tree stump with the pots ?