Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eightzoner

Milk/Powdery mildew success

eightzoner
12 years ago

Hi all,

I've been having some trouble with powdery mildew on my monarda and lupine this spring.

I don't know why I never tried the diluted milk treatment before, but it really works! I diluted whole milk with water (about 6 to 1 ratio) and sprayed twice about three days apart. Stopped the mildew in its tracks.

I was worried I'd have to cut the monarda down before I even saw bloom, so this is good news. I also sprayed my cotinus which was showing a few touches and there's no sign of mildew now.

An added benefit -- the leaves seem to be healthier than ever and are a darker green than they were. Does the milk have some sort of fertilizing effect?

I think I'll have to relocate the monarda for next year as it's getting too much shade now. But I can't seem to grow lupine at all without mildew no matter where I plant, so this is good news to help keep my one plant looking good.

I don't spray any fungicides or anything in the yard so it's nice to have something natural that works.

Just thought I'd pass along this news for anyone else out there who, like me, didn't believe it would work.

Sheri

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner