Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bread & Butter Combos

Posted by christinmk z5b eastern WA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 17, 10 at 17:55

The other day I noticed this lovely combo (didn't plan it either!) in the front garden...'Teasing Georgia' DA rose with an unknown type of white iris (any of a resident Iris experts know what kind it is?? Siberian or something else?).

Iris and Roses, it is a pairing that is as classic as putting bread and butter together. Common but so very pretty! It got me to thinking about 'classic' combos that involve those old fashioned cottage garden flowers. Do you guys have any combos in your garden you would consider traditional? Would love to see!
Rose 'Teasing Georgia' with unknown white iris
CMK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bread & Butter Combos

I don't know about being traditional but this combo was created by Graham Thomas trying to bury himself in Haspen's Blood to get away from the last torrential rainfall we had.

Annette

o

Darn hit the submit button too soon, lovely picture C, don't you just love these happy little surprises we come upon in our gardens.

Annette

o

-Annette, wow! That is a wonderful combo indeed. Love the colors you used in this grouping of plants. What is that blue colored grass up the way, Blue Lyme? Helictotrichon?
CMK

o

Well, Tiger Lilies are traditional. Miscanthus and Tiger Lilies are probably not, but I like the way this combination turned out.

Photobucket

o

These are wonderful combinations. I'm a fiend for orange- and I love those Tiger lilies with the variegated grass.
Renee

o

How about this combination - Ducher rose, plumbago, and a white four o'clock. I thought it looked nice.

Ducher, Plumbago, and Four O'clock

o

-blondiesc, your combo is stunning!! Just about took my breath away when I saw it...
I have a somewhat similar combo with a large orange Geum and variegated ribbon grass. Don't you love the boldness of orange and white/variegated foliage??

-jovy, nice color combo. Love your Plumbago. Some sites state it as hardy in my zone, so I really need to try it one of these days!
CMK

o

These pictures are great!!

Annette, you always kill me with your Astrantia! It is just gorgeous! And holy cow! Is that Phuopsis stylosa in the foreground? I just saw it at the Paris Botanical Garden and fell in love with it!

Christin, last spring I bought an iris very similar to the one in your picture. I remember when I bought it I had a VERY specific place I wanted to plant it to make a "bread and butter" combo. Well, I forgot all about the iris, it sat in the pot hidden under a shrub all season. When I found it I knew I had had a GREAT idea for where to plant it, but couldn't remember! So, I threw it in the first empty space I found. Still can't remember what I was going to do with it!!

Dinner time. Think I'll start with some bread and butter!!! This thread is making me hungry! LOL!!

o

Chris, that's just plain old Granny's Garters behind the Astrantia, it's always been well behaved for me maybe because it is nutrient starved, planted in gravel.

Thyme, yes that's Phuopsis stylosa I've had it for years probably got it at one of the UBC Botanical Gar*den plant sales. This one gives off a musky order at times but we love it. Should I try saving seed :) let me know.

Annette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here