Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doggonegardener

Secret admirers...they make my day...

doggonegardener
12 years ago

I was kneeling in my front yard today working below view behind my fence. I keep a CLOSE eye on my dogs so when I heard a couple of voices I looked over my shoulder to see if the voices were accompanied by either small children or dogs (neither of which are very popular with my own dogs so I am VERY vigilant). It was a couple of ladies, probably in their early 60's riding bicycles past. They were chatting away and did not see me at all behind my fence.

This resulted in the nicest little compliment. One lady commented to the other "I just love this house with it's gardens and all the flowers. It's fun to watch it evolve."

Wow, that was really something. Lots of people comment as they pass and see me. Sometimes I think they are just being polite. I don't by any means consider myself an expert gardener. While my flower beds are pretty extensive and we have a small pond too, I'm no expert. More the type to learn by trial and error...more of the latter than the former at times. To hear a couple of ladies make this comment really made my day.

I thought this was a fun contrast to the nosy neighbor types.

Hope you get to overhear a secret admirer in the near future.

Ne

Comments (19)

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

How nice. I know that made your day.

Kathy

• cindysunshine
    12 years ago

How very nice. It is these small moments that make you know it's not just you that thinks it is looking good. It's great to have a sunshine spot in your day. :)

• onederw
    12 years ago

Doggone -- I know just how you feel, and yeah, it sorta made my day.
    My next door neighbors told me last week that some folks on their morning walk had stopped in front of our house to admire the garden. They actually pulled out a camera to take pictures -- a "silent compliment," as my neighbor put it.
    That said, I sometimes have to lie low behind the shrubbery when people are going by -- you know what gardening clothes can look like if you've been out in them putting down mulch. And if I've been out there for a while, I'm apt to look a little peculiar myself. : )

Kay

• sanitycheck
    12 years ago

I live a block from the county courthouse and the folks that work there get an hour for lunch. In this small village there isnt much to do so many of them walk.So nearly everyday someone is in my yard scoping out whats new. Some of them walk all the way around the yard others just look from the sidewalk. I like to think with their stressful job im giving them a nice break.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

What lovely compliments! Now, we need pictures from all of you to go with these posts! I'd post some, but all you would see is weeds right now-ha.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

That's so nice to hear when it's totally unexpected. Sounds like your garden is always beautiful.

I lived in Wyoming for a while and certainly have a lot of admiration for you gardening in such a difficult climate.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

-Doggone, what a lovely compliment indeed! The nicest ones are the unsolicited and unexpected ones in my opinion. I know what you mean about thinking some folks are saying to be polite or feel obliged to.

-Kay, that is neat. I bet they are using it as a screensaver to enjoy it every day ;o) LOL! Me too! When I am in my "grubby" garden clothes I hide from public eyes at all cost!!

-sanity check, wow! That is cool that other 'non-gardeners' take so much interest in the day to day change of a garden!

There is a fellow that has complimented several times on the garden as he walks down the alley with his partner. Yes, it does make my day too! ;-)
    CMK

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

How nice to overhear compliments to your garden. I often have people stopping by on their walk (we are on a mile circle and it is a regular walk for many) to ask about a plant or to compliment my gardens.

Though I no longer worry about being seen in my "working" clothes I do not like to be seen bent over so if I hear someone or a car coming I stand up. Some days I am a jack in the box. My neighbors are used to seeing me with dirty gardening clothes and probably think I have no other clothes.

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

I live in an old community that has gone seriously upscale in the last 15 years. I get a perverse kick out of going places in the day time looking like the service end of a mow and blow crew. Truthfully, none of those guys are as dirty as I am after a few hours in the garden.

I say proudly wear the evidence that you know dirt, aren't afraid to work, and have a stellar immune system from decades of eating dirt!

Marie

• doggonegardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I must admit, I am more along the lines of thinking like idabean. I get FILTHY when I garden. I end up covered in sunscreen, bug spray and MUD. I am not terribly worried what folks think of how I look when I'm in the garden or at the hardware store, lumber yard or greenhouse. I can often be seen with mud on the knees of my pants and sometimes on my face in any of the above locations. I think of it as a sign of hard work in progress.

• mytime
    12 years ago

I had to quit worrying about what I look like if I need to run an errand in the middle of a great work-in-the-garden day. And especially if I'm headed to get more gardening supplies. sometimes I might make 3 trips...can't get much work done if you're constantly changing in and out of clothes!

• pippi21
    12 years ago

My husband and I are the youngest among these 18 houses in our court; we live in a Sr. citizens community. I have lots of flowers where they may have a hanging basket, or some patio containers but mostly evergreen bushes. This one gentleman used to walk by every morning going to the Fitness center and he always compliments me or us and will say " Thanks for beautifying our neighborhood!" That makes all my hard work seem worthwhile!

• doggonegardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My point exactly mytime. Can't be changing clothes all day. I go out dirty. Proves I'm working hard.

Ne

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

LOL about being seen bending over, mnwsgal! I am with you there-ha!

Otherwise, I don't worry. I have been known to run to the nursery or HD wearing my filthy clothes because I would be coming right back and getting dirty all over again. I imagine other shoppers are appalled by my appearance. Oh well.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Doggone, hearing complements like that make all the nicks and cuts, dirty fingernails and aching muscles worth it, puts the spring back in one's step.

LOL Cyn, I'm glad I'm not the only one, on those days DH just sits in the car and waits for me. I usually find I've gone out with a smudge of dirt on my nose and a twig or two in my hair. Got to have those priorities in proper order :).

Annette

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

i just assume that we dirty ones at the nursery or hd are being good examples for more prissy gardeners. who knows, maybe they will feel comfortable enough to show up the next time without having changed their clothes.

i'm more apt to talk to a dirty gardener in those places too because i know they are seriously like me. one time i struck up a conversation with a lady about her wagonload of shrubs and flowers and she told me all about her garden. i was impressed with her plans until, at check out, i heard her tell the clerk that her gardener was going to get to work the next day. what a disappointment! i should have looked much closer at her fingernails. min

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Well that is too bad. If ever anyone met me in a nursery they would think I don't work hard in the garden, wasn't a "real" gardener, AND wouldn't want to talk to me?? Sigh...and all because I hosed my feet off and threw on clean jeans and a t-shirt. LOL.
    CMK

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

Ha ha how come I never meet any of you dirty girls at HD or Lowe's when I am as grubby as any of you? All I see are you ones with clean feet and a clean t-shirt, lol!

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

This afternoon I ran out of mulch and went to Lowe's to get more, must admit I changed my shirt but I didn't wash my feet. LOL