Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ogrose_tx

Whining...

ogrose_tx
12 years ago

It's 5 o'clock and 98 Degrees, this has been going on for days with no end in sight. UGH! By Noon it's 90, we're way over the average for this time of year, makes me wonder what August will bring this year.

They are predicting a quarter million people for the Maverick's parade at 10am tomorrow, can you imagine how hot THAT will be in downtown Dallas with all that cement?

There. I feel better, LOL!

Comments (16)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Could we set up a trade of some sort?? We have been getting almost non-stop rain today. Plus it got COLD when the hail started awhile back- right now it is only 55 degrees out there!! Yesterday was the first day without rain we have had in a long time it seems.

My tomatoes would love some of your Dallas heat right about now. I'm serious about that trade. Send me your address and I will see if I can't move this cool and rainy front down your way, LOL. ;-D
    CMK

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

CMK, although we're on opposite sides of the country we've had the same weather. It has been raining and in the 50s-60s. Finally warmed up today and will warm up more tomorrow. The rain has stopped for now. Although, it was nice planting tons of seedlings and not worrying about having to water!

Ogrose, that is most disgusting weather especially when you are having such a string of it. I don't think I would want to work at all in the garden. Sorry, I don't know what the Maverick's parade is? Must be special if there are that many people expected to show up on a Thursday! Hang in there and try to stay cool!

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

thyme2dig, we must surely add that last week it was in the good ol' (really bad ol') 90's way up here in NH! The 90's are behind us and the 50's are upon us. WHAT?!?! Ogrose, my heart goes out to you. I remember going to a 4th of July jamboree/fair in Augusta, Georgia about 7 years ago and seeing my 4 yo walking around with a face as bright red as an apple. It was just so so so hot. I grew up in Alabama, but I don't think I ever really got used to those high temps. I wonder how many people will faint tomorrow at the parade?

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

OK I'm officially going to shut up about our 90+ degrees here in Northern California, with NO humidity.
    You would think I would remember my many summers on the east coast. You guys have reminded me.

You won't hear another word out of me about the heat. Here's wishing you all some deep shade, a cooling breeze and a nice tall glass of iced tea.

Min

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

CMK, thanks for the offer, could sure use a little of that rain to cool things off! That has to be just as discouraging for you having to deal with cold weather - I grew up in Missoula, as well as just inside Glacier National Park where it never got warm all summer!

thyme2dig, the parade is for the Dallas Mavericks basketball team that just won the national championship. The last time we had a parade downtown it got pretty rowdy, lots of arrests, and I just can't imagine that many bodies packed together in this heat, LOL!

Deanna and min, I just get up really early, it's in the high 70's with a slight breeze, actually quite pleasant to get a few things done in the yard. So far no water restrictions but that will come shortly I'll bet!

• natal
    12 years ago

Ogrose, same thing here. We've been above average for almost two months now. I only go outside to pick flowers & tomatoes and move the sprinkler. Dreading Saturday when I need to start pulling tomato plants. That's such a sweaty, dirty job. I'm going to try and make myself get up early.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Ogr, how did the parade go?

Nat, I wonder if I left the tomato plants they would at least shade the soil. They are in a place that I won't be watering anything else.

Kathy

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Oh, I hear you orgrose and natal, same here. I get out there early in the AM, then come in during the day and get indoor things done and it's back outside at 5pm or so. Most of my perennials have bloomed at least 2 weeks early, and the "main" bed where I seeded all sorts of annuals - nothing has come up because it's too hot and dry. At least last night we had rain but now it's so humid. We've been hot, but very dry which helps make it more bearable. The nights and mornings have been gorgeous.

12 years ago

CMK, I think ogrose needs some work on her navigation skills. Today we were up to 90 (now where did those 50 temps go so quickly). Clearly she had the wrong address and sent the heat east instead of northwest! Why, oh why, ogrose? Tomorrow it is supposed to be 70...like a normal day up here. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aw, you guys are just a bunch of wimps! It ain't summer til you have huge cracks in the ground, NOTHING is growing and not even the flies will come out - it's 7pm and 99 Degrees, I give up!

We live in mortal fear that our air conditioners will break down. Why did I EVER leave Apgar, Montana, LOL!

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

I was in this house a month and had to replace the inside unit.

Three weeks ago I had to replace the outside unit. $2488.00 I wasn't planning on spending. Thank goodness for the 12 mos. no interest plan.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Ogrose, LOL!! Shows how much I follow basketball! I hope everyone stayed safe and hydrated at the parade.

Deanna, This weather is just crazy! Hot, cold/rainy, hot, back to rainy. At least we are so fortunate that in between the hot weather we go back down to decent temps and have some rain thrown in there. Nice soaking rain today. I count my lucky stars every time it rains. I would like it to only rain during the week though. Is that too much to ask?!?! LOL!

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL, I don't follow basketball either. There were quite a few incidents of heat exhaustion, but all in all went quite well I understand, there were gangs there but they behaved, everyone was in a great mood.

12 years ago

Glad to hear there were no problems, ogrose. I remember in Georgia and Alabama it was quite common to hear of at least one death from heat exhaustion during the really hot spells, over 100 degrees. I guess even gangs can't stand the heat when it gets that hot!

Yes, thyme2dig, it is CRAZY CRAZY!! I keep flip flopping my clothes. A few days I can't imagine not having my sweaters on, and then overnight I can't imagine having to wear any clothes at all in the heat. Talk about schizophrenic weather! You are certainly right, I am extremely glad that in between the hot spells we have gotten some great rain. After last year's heat and dry spell I am grateful for the rain breaks. Do you remember two years ago when it didn't warm up until mid-July? We took swim lessons at the lake up here, and the first week of July it was so cold they did swim lessons on the beach, let the kids in the water for 10 minutes, and then brought them out with blue lips to waiting hot chocolate. Amazing! I e-mailed all my relatives in Alabama and told them only in NH would you have hot chocolate in July! I don't think I've had a "normal" summer in the four summers I've been here. Every year is a surprise!

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Groupgirlgroup, that's exactly what I do, get up early, get it done, then that's it for the day! I've really gotten into the Casey Anthony trial for entertainment on TRU TV, it's totally crazy entertainment plus learning a lot. This certainly beats getting up at 5am, hair, makeup and all to get ready for work in the corporate world that I have done for 50 years and then try to garden on the weekends! Am loving my retirement of 4 months, am lazy and loving it!

Getting old is not so bad... oh, and don't forget the naps!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Ogrose, sounds like a great day of early gardening and napping! It is true how difficult it is to try to squeeze in so much gardening on the weekends. I have a magnet at work that states "My job is beginning to interfere with my gardening". So true!! It sounds like you're still having REALLY hot weather out there. My friend is out in Austin at her son's wedding and yesterday at 5pm I saw it was still 104!!! YIKES!!! Stay safe in that heat!

Deanna, that is so funny but sadly true about having hot chocolate in July not just because it's yummy but because we need it to warm up!! I still haven't put any long sleeves away because our weather has been so changeable. This week looks like it could be a stellar one. Wish I was on vacation!!

Sponsored