Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple tree and Lilacs

Posted by lavender_lass WA zone 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 18:18

It's early June and we've had such a late spring that the apple tree and lilacs are just now blooming. It's supposed to rain today or tomorrow, so I thought I'd better take pictures.

The apple tree is beautiful and very old. There are so many bumble bees and other bugs flying around that it seems to 'buzz' as you walk by.

The lilacs are still opening, but already the fragrance is wonderful! It's not too heavy, but you can smell it from at least 50 feet away. The sheds are normal 6' high size...which shows how big these lilacs and apple tree are. They're all at least 60 years old and we're so fortunate that my husband's grandmother planted them!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple tree and Lilacs

• Posted by elizh z5/6 MA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 22:16

I just heard it's that time in WA... lovely. I'd call that a semidwarf apple, depending on whether you've pruned it down any. (A full sized apple tree can go to 30 feet, but most people don't want them to.)

o

Thanks!

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but some of the lilacs are over 20 feet tall. The apple tree is probably about 30 feet tall :)

o

Holy smokes!!! Your lilacs are HUGE! Must smell like heaven all around your garden. Didn't get much of a chance to enjoy the ones here since in rained and rained for so long. Plus the two new-ish ones out in the alley didn't bloom. Seeing yours is a good compensation though ;-) Pretty apple tree too. Looks like a good place to sit under and read a book. What kind of apples does it produce?

Thanks for sharing LL!
CMK

o

Your spring flowering tree and shrubs are lovely. And lilacs always smell so nice.

o

• Posted by chohio 5-6 Dayton Ohio (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 6:16

Very pretty. Those lilacs are huge.
Cher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here