Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Apple tree and Lilacs

lavender_lass
12 years ago

It's early June and we've had such a late spring that the apple tree and lilacs are just now blooming. It's supposed to rain today or tomorrow, so I thought I'd better take pictures.

The apple tree is beautiful and very old. There are so many bumble bees and other bugs flying around that it seems to 'buzz' as you walk by.

The lilacs are still opening, but already the fragrance is wonderful! It's not too heavy, but you can smell it from at least 50 feet away. The sheds are normal 6' high size...which shows how big these lilacs and apple tree are. They're all at least 60 years old and we're so fortunate that my husband's grandmother planted them!

{{gwi:114870}}

{{gwi:701285}}

{{gwi:701289}}

Comments (5)

• elizh
    12 years ago

I just heard it's that time in WA... lovely. I'd call that a semidwarf apple, depending on whether you've pruned it down any. (A full sized apple tree can go to 30 feet, but most people don't want them to.)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but some of the lilacs are over 20 feet tall. The apple tree is probably about 30 feet tall :)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Holy smokes!!! Your lilacs are HUGE! Must smell like heaven all around your garden. Didn't get much of a chance to enjoy the ones here since in rained and rained for so long. Plus the two new-ish ones out in the alley didn't bloom. Seeing yours is a good compensation though ;-) Pretty apple tree too. Looks like a good place to sit under and read a book. What kind of apples does it produce?

Thanks for sharing LL!
    CMK

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Your spring flowering tree and shrubs are lovely. And lilacs always smell so nice.

• Cher
    12 years ago

Very pretty. Those lilacs are huge.
    Cher

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA