Houzz Logo Print
kathi_mdgd

my gardens

kathi_mdgd
10 years ago

petunias,lobelia

{{gwi:701498}}

{{gwi:701500}}

anyone know what this cage thingy was used for?/ I have 2 of them,a friend was gonna throwthem away,me to the rescue.

{{gwi:191475}}

the other cage thingy

{{gwi:191477}}

better view of the cage

{{gwi:191479}}

bonus petunia planted by the birds or the wind

{{gwi:644117}}

{{gwi:701503}}

morning glories,canyon in he background

{{gwi:701505}}

alice DuPont mandaville

{{gwi:506983}}

Brazilian plume and hydrangea

{{gwi:547859}}

jacaranda--this ones foryou annie

{{gwi:701508}}

{{gwi:701510}}

hoya

{{gwi:576501}}

front yard on riday

{{gwi:701513}}

section of backyard

{{gwi:560477}}

geranium

I have some more but pb quit working,so i'll try again later.
enjoy the view.
Kathi

Comments (15)

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Nice job,Kathi!! Wish I knew your secret with petunias! Mine are so long and leggy. Very sad looking and it`s only mid June. You have a lovely garden. lesley

• kathi_mdgd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lesley when mine get leggy I just cut them back. Not too drastically; think of it as giving them a haircut/trim ;then they will put out new blooms for you.
    Kathi

• kathi_mdgd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lesley when mine get leggy I just cut them back. Not too drastically; think of it as giving them a haircut/trim ;then they will put out new blooms for you.
    Kathi

• peachymomo
    10 years ago

Gorgeous gardens! I love the colors and variety.

I think the cage thingies might be bird feeders, I've seen pictures of feeders that are made to let little birds in but keep the larger birds out. They look good as hanging flower holders though.

Looks like the agave are blooming in your area too! I have one across the street from my house, my mom has two blooming at her place, and a neighbor of hers has a few giant bloom spikes towering over the roof of their house. I think they look like they came from an alien planet.

This post was edited by peachymomo on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 11:02

• kathi_mdgd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Peachymomo,
    even big birds could get into those cages,there's a pretty big space between each section.As for the agave that's the leftovers from last years bloom.Somewhere on here in the last few days I did post pictures of it in full bloom last year.I'm glad it's growing in the canyon behind our fence,wouldn't want that big thing on my property.
    kathi

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Thanks, Kathi....I appreciate your reply. I`m off to give haircuts!!!! I grow 200 roses, 150 day lilies, 50 clematis, many perennials and I can`t grow a decent petunia. I`ll give a trim a try! Lesley

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Those are all so pretty! I love the colors. Just an explosion of beauty. I agree that they are bird feeders. Very smart of you to re-purpose them, and don't they look lovely?
    kay

• girlgroupgirl
    10 years ago

Its lovely and those cagey things are perfection!! What a lucky find. Do you think perhaps they had succulent balls growing in them? Is that a "thing" where you are? I'm dying to try it. I've scavenged some hanging wire baskets I want to make succulent balls with, I just haven't done it yet!
    I LOVE petunias, and finally got some planted I started very late from seed. My faves are any with a scent, and in hotlanta I find that Laura Bush, the "original" petunia, native petunias and old fashioned climbers do best here. I wish they would reseed for me! Yours are beautiful.

• kathi_mdgd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Girlgroup,i havn't a clue what may have been in them if anything.Our friends brought this house from the family of some old lady and they left a lot of plants and all kinds of other stuff on the property and in the house.They told our friends they could keep it,throw it away or give it away.

We got those cages and a couple other smaller ones,planters,plants and cymbidium orchids,and a bunch of other stuff from them.They were going to throw it all away,oh and we also got a large stag horn fern that is even larger now.When we first got the fern,we were offered 300.00 for it,we just said No Thanks!!

I like to re-use,re-purpose etc and save the landfills,plus save money.

If you go over to the cactus and succulent forum,type my name as it appears above in the search box and you'll be able to see more plants as well as one tillandsia I have in a half basket with coconut shells and it's almost a complete ball now.I figure by the time it blooms next year the ball should be complete.I didn't form it,it did it on it's own.Check it out when you have time.
    Kathi

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

What kind of geranium is that?

• memo3
    10 years ago

Very pretty, so much lovely color! I'm inspired by your morning glories.

• tempusflits
    10 years ago

Lovely! I especially loved the petunias and lobelia. Wow.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

I really like the explosion of color in your gardens and then the muted canyon in the background. Looks like an interesting juxtaposition.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Very pretty, you have a knack for container gardening that I sure don't have.

• kathi_mdgd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis,i'm not sure what kind of geranium that is.My gf gave me a cutting of it last year and it really took off.Blooms off and on all year here and I've cut it back a couple of times since then.This year she gave me something similar only the flowers are more in the orangy color.

Schoolhouse
    We have to do a lot of container planting because of the critters that come up from the canyon,mainly skunks and raccoons. Last year the skunks tore our backyard to shreds,i almost cried everytime I walked out there.

I try not to use too many chemicals but last year I went and brought 5 bags of spectracide,and used 3 of them on the main part of the yard,then this year we spent filling the spots they dug up and putting down more seed.So far this year,so good,but I keep using the spectricide,and keep watering it in.So far that's helping.

Lesley,how are your petunias doing,you did cut them back didn't you??

Thanks everyone for the comments.I love my flowers and playing in the dirt.
    Kathi

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths