Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Privet hedge and arch

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 18:47

Remember in February of this year I had the tall privet hedge pruned back severely along the road - first photo. In the second photo you can see how well it's doing today. Except for some floppiness at the top which I'll remove after blooming ends, it has greened up and filled in nicely.

The third photo is the inside of the "Privet Arch" as I call it. With all the light coming through this Spring lots of growth began and suckering on the inside had to be dealt with. I spent an afternoon cutting back and making it tidy once again.

photo 100_4412-2.jpg

photo 100_4712.jpg

photo 100_4675.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Privet hedge and arch

Looks wonderful ! I love that arch...so charming. You have so many "rooms" that appeal to me. c

o

What it looked like in February.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutting back the privet

o

That is so cool!

o

Oh wow, that really looks great. I love how shrubs are so resilient and actually appreciate a sharp haircut once in a while (well, some of them anyway). I've always admired your tunnel.

o

It's scary to take the loppers or bow saw to a nice big shrub, but like you say they usually appreciate it. Some fight back tho.

Sunday I was at the far end of the privet arch (actually from about where I took the photo), cutting off a thick branch that was arched over and shading a young redbud tree. I made the cut and the branch fell onto some other growth, so I yanked at it and the thing jumped up and smacked me right in the forehead! I was sure there would be a big red mark but I haven't noticed any

o

Oh No!! Shrubs fighting back! Watch out! Sometimes when I prune trees I think of those apple trees in the Wizard of Oz and wonder if they're going to smack me for cutting their branches off! Hopefully they appreciate the haircuts! LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here