Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

New birdhouse went up this morning

schoolhouse_gw
11 years ago

This rainy morning, the guys put the scaffolding together, lifted the new birdhouse into place, and bolted it down. This birdhouse is a replica of one my Uncle built and put on this pole April 11, 1947, according to the date in the cement anchoring the 14' pole. The old house finally succumbed to the elements last year, so a wood crafter down the road built a new one in Summer. I primed and painted it in the Fall and finally was able to get it put in place this morning. I think it looks great. I do see one spot I missed with the paint, and I was SO careful! Oh well.

{{gwi:703226}}

Comments (17)

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

How neat!! What kind of birds will use that?

• adriennemb2
    11 years ago

Oh my, that is really gorgeous.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I think the builder did a good job.

What kind of birds will use it? Sparrows and starlings probably. :) I'm not sure but the original may have been a Purple Martin house, and since this new one is a replica (as well as could be copied from the remnants of the old), it could be called a PM house also. I don't know the proper size of nest holes for PM's.

• natalie4b
    11 years ago

What a fantastic piece of real estate! If I were a bird, I would love to make a home there and raise my young.

• natal
    11 years ago

It's a thing of beauty!

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

That is surely the cadillac of bird houses! A mansion! WOW!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

How wonderful! I love it and I think your paint job is marvelous! Hope you have tenants very soon!

• DYH
    11 years ago

That's so beautiful!

Cameron

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

I do remember when this project began. Aren't you thrilled?!

Great job.

k

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I'm very happy. It was a goal I had set for myself some years ago, and when the money became available I made up my mind to do it.

As I went out to the paper box this morning, I glanced up at the birdhouse. A sparrow was already sitting in front of one entrance as if claiming that apartment. Then there was two. It will be nice shelter for them this winter too. I know HOSPS aren't the best birds to have about, but it is what it is.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more pic. Took this a few minutes ago. Was hoping the house would show up a little more clear.

{{gwi:703228}}

• natalie4b
    11 years ago

Looks great! Enjoy!

• wildflower3
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!

• cindysunshine
    11 years ago

It is perfectly beautiful. My grandfather used to have a big purple Martin house I remember it when we were growing up. What a lovely tribute to the memory you've given the next 50 years.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. I attended a pot luck and music party today on a friend's farm. He has purple martin houses WITH purple martins. His houses are on pulleys so he can raise and lower them for cleaning. I've never seen purple martins around my property but perhaps I just have never been able to identify them. I have chimney swifts and barn swallows and I know PMs look similar only not with the lighter colored bellies. I need to do some research. I do know it's a bit of a task to attract the PMs to your houses before the HOSPS take over. I doubt I could handle the responsibility.

I see long strands of dry weeds coming from two "apartments" already. I bet those birds are glad to see the house back again. Now let's hope the coons don't feel the same way and view it as a snack bar and worse, tear it apart. One of the guys putting up the house said to grease the pole, that would keep them down! lol

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

So green! I love it when you post photos of your garden, schoolhouse. What a birdhouse- it's stately!
    Renee

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

It's a beautiful birdhouse and a wonderful tribute to your uncle. Congrats on getting it back up.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus