Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Original Russell Lupin Strain

Posted by aftermidnight Z8 V. Island B.C. (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 19:08

Some time ago I posted about buying a pkt. of Russel Lupin seed from Ashwood Nurseries in England. I ended up with just a couple of plants :(, 1 purple and yellow, 2 pink and whites due to a slug/snail hit and run one night. I now put copper mesh around anything I seed.

These might not be quite as nice as some of the improved Russell Lupins on the market now but I think they're pretty good, a lot better than the last lupins I grew from seed, I ended up tossing them.

I have the whole story on how they came about, how they were salvaged, but, you know how that goes, I have it in such a safe place I can't put my fingers on it.

All going well I'll try collecting as much seed as I can, if successful I can share with a few who might be interested in these olden goldies :).

Annette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Original Russell Lupin Strain

I love the colours of the first pic...such a rich magenta

o

Well, they are very pretty.

o

How do I know if a seed packet marked Russell Lupine is the original or a new version? I did wintersow some seeds this past winter, but they were from a basic seed provider. Won't see blooms until later.

o

Oh, man! I LOVE love love the first photo. Psychedelic!!!!

o

deanna, I would imagine your Russell Lupin seed has been selected from the best of the best over the years, better growth habit and better flower form etc. The seed I have came from plants found still growing at the original sight where Mr. Russell did his hybridizing, I think in the 30's.
I love growing things that have a history or story to go with them.

Annette

o

They're gorgeous! How do you keep them looking so lush and lovely. I'm trying to keep powdery mildew at bay long enough to see the one bloom stalk that my sole lupine plant has. I only planted it last year and maybe I didn't site it well enough. Yours look great.

Sheri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here