Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Who is blooming today?

cziga
12 years ago

Just took a couple quick photos as the Clematis are starting to bloom, same with some of the Iris ... more to come in the next week or so :)

Doves nesting in the Flower Box by the Door

{{gwi:703803}}

Weigela "Wine and Roses"

{{gwi:703805}}

Bridal Wreath Spirea - this one is an odd shape this year, I think it needs some pruning :)

{{gwi:703807}}

Pink Lupines starting to open

{{gwi:703808}}

Ninebark "Diablo"

{{gwi:703809}}

Purple Lupine and Irises

{{gwi:703810}}

I love the way the dark purple and light yellow look together :)

{{gwi:703811}}

Iris, Lupine, Poppy

{{gwi:703812}}

Poppy "Queen Alexandra" closeup

{{gwi:703813}}

Iris "Orinoco Flow" about to open

{{gwi:703814}}

Iris "Indian Chief"

{{gwi:703815}}

Front Garden, weeds and chaos and all ...

{{gwi:703816}}

Dianthus Cheddar Pinks "Firewitch" - this one is such a trooper!

{{gwi:703817}}

Clematis "Josephine"

{{gwi:703818}}

Clematis "Josephine" closeup

{{gwi:703819}}

Clematis "Claire de Lune"

The colours look a little washed out, hard to capture well with the sunlight. What is the best time of day to take garden photos? Early evening?

Comments (10)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

cziga - great shots of your bloomers!! I just love those iris, clematis & lupines. I try to shoot for mid-morning and early evening to get true-color, high-definition shots of my blooms. The shadows from the angle of the sun that time of day help accentuate the vivid colors and make them pop rather than get washed out by the strong rays of the sun.

{{gwi:198698}}

{{gwi:235920}}

{{gwi:236790}}

{{gwi:200603}}

{{gwi:385281}}

{{gwi:385277}}

{{gwi:235919}}

{{gwi:199165}}

{{gwi:236788}}

• on_greenthumb
    12 years ago

Ladies - beautiful flowers :) I have to get some of mine into photobucket and post....I have an iris (only one) that bloomed yesterday. The rest finished a while ago. Also, right now, my columbine is going strong (very tall and floriforous...need more :) as are my geraniums bachelor buttons and geum. The pinks are just starting while the Jacob's ladder is winding down, along with the bleeding hearts.

Czinga - looks like we have a lot of the same plants (Your ninebark is flowering??? Mine hasn't for me yet. How old is yours?)

• cziga
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Ninebark is just starting ... the flowers aren't open yet, but they are there and coming :) It will be the third summer in the ground. It is still filling out, not quite as bushy as it will be, but starting to look more impressive. I expect it will be flowering fully in a week or so.

We do seem to have many of the same plants :)

Gardenweed - thanks for the tip about the timing. I was thinking early evening might be a better time to try, so the colours don't get washed out by the sun. Your shots are beautiful! I love the way you capture the water droplets on the leaves ...

I can't wait till the poppies really start putting on a show :)

• cardwellave
    12 years ago

At my mom's house an old rose bush is sprouting up through the lilac bush. While the lilacs spent blooms remain, there is a single stalk of rose coming up through the center of the shrub and this is the result. Most years she has cut the rose back but forgot this year. Doesn't seem to bother the lilac.

{{gwi:703821}}

{{gwi:703823}}
    {{gwi:703825}}

And at my neighbor's house, I thought this was quite pretty. Is it a weigela?
    {{gwi:703826}}

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

I especially love the Lupines and the Lupines and Iris together. Really looks great. Smart little Dove found a great nesting spot!

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Everything looks loverly! It is so hot here that not much is blooming.
    Summer phlox
    Mexican oregano
    last of the daylilies
    volunteer zinnias.

I am getting 3 or 4 tomatoes a day.
    k

• eightzoner
    12 years ago

That's a nice weigela all right. My neighbor also has one -- a beautiful old pink with magenta centers that very nicely drapes over my blue-gray fence.

Here's my contribution. Boring old california poppy and not quite blooming spirea magic carpet.

{{gwi:703828}}

• mandolls
    12 years ago

My first peonies opened today - they must have liked our heat wave
    {{gwi:703830}}

The siberian iris are in full force - I love them
    {{gwi:703832}}

Traditional iris
    {{gwi:703833}}

Primrose are about done
    {{gwi:703835}}

• cziga
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Didn't know if I should add more photos to this thread ... but here are some bloomers from yesterday and today:

You can see the baby doves in this one (from that first photo at the very beginning of the page ... she was nesting then, now there are 2 baby birds!!)
    {{gwi:703836}}

Climbing Hydrangea:
    {{gwi:703838}}

PEONIES:
    {{gwi:703839}}

{{gwi:703841}}

ROSES:

Reines des Violette, looking very pink
    {{gwi:703844}}

Molineux:
    {{gwi:703848}}

{{gwi:703851}}

Felix LeClerc
    {{gwi:703854}}

Emily Carr:
    {{gwi:703856}}

{{gwi:703857}}

{{gwi:703858}}

Celestial:
    {{gwi:703859}}

Cardinal de Richelieu:
    {{gwi:703861}}

{{gwi:703863}}

Mme Isaac Perreire:
    {{gwi:703865}}

• journalbee
    12 years ago

the pics of your flowers are beautiful. i am always interested in seeing what people do along a fence line. do you have a pic to share that shows the whole fence line?

tfs

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus