Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengranny2_gw

I'm having mixed emotions

gardengranny2
13 years ago

about this gardening season.

For the latter part of the summer and through the early part of the winter last year, I was laid up with an RA flare that would not quit.

It took until almost Christmas before my meds got things under control so I could function normally again.

As a result, the mulching I wanted to do at the end of summer never got done. "Oh well" I thought. I'll do it early next spring.

Usually we get a nice week in March and then again in early to mid April.

We did get the nice week in March which I used for major pruning of 6 ft tall Knockout roses which had become leggy. Cut them back to about 18 inches. Twelve rose bushes took the whole week and I had DH helping me because I was having back spasms from being idle for so long.

April followed with day temps of 80-90 degrees (w/o rain) and intermittent frosts. Too hot to be spreading tons of mulch-too cold for the same.

The first week of May found the garden exploding due to the abnormally high temps (our last frost date is around the 21st of the month). Plants were suddenly too full to get in there with mulch. Now the beds are full of weeds. I pull as I see them. In a couple of days they are right back again. I have never had so many weeds.

Fortunately (or unfortunately-depending on how you think about it) at the rate things are developing around here, I will be able to start putting the garden to bed around mid July.

The spring plantings (irises, peonies, salvia, flowering shrubs etc.) normally just beginning here, are all finished. The summer plantings are ready to burst forth anytime now (achilleas, shasta daisies, daylilies etc) when they normally begin around the 1st week of July and finsh for the most part about the 3rd week of August.

While it was wonderful to see all the color so early, the exceptional May heat we have had meant that the spring blooms did not last very long. It also means an end to the glory of the summer much sooner than in a normal year. But, that will allow for plenty of time to get all the beds blanketed before the snow flies this year (I HOPE!).

Liz

Comments (13)

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

I know what you mean. The weather has been very much not typical. All of the rain and the early heat will fast-forward the plants, I fear.

I hope your flars settle down. That is so difficult to deal with.
    kay

• mary_lu_gw
    13 years ago

I have been feeling the same way. A very unusual year for sure. I have been working on getting more fall blooming plants, but for the most part I have spring/summer blooms.

Hope you are feeling better and don't over do.

• tammyinwv
    13 years ago

Same with me, last year from August on, I had very little blooming. I have been trying to remedy that this.Liz, sorry to hear about the RA flare. That is very difficult to deal with. I have fibromyalgia flares, but it isnt deforming like RA.
    Tammy

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    13 years ago

Gardengranny, I just read this and my heart goes out to you.

Two years ago, I was in a high stress position at work, putting in over 70 hours a week including weekends. When I kept being asked for more, I didn't complain, I just did it. My garden that year was completely neglected.

The long hours took their toll and as a result, my Crohn's, which had been in remission for 13 years came back. By the time I realized I couldn't just push past it, I was extremely ill. The following summer my garden once again languished, unmulched and unweeded.

This summer my Crohn's is finally coming back under control. I'm far from well, but I find even just standing in the garden helps. I do whatever I can and try not to stress.

I will persevere. Things will improve. You will too.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Six feet tall Knock Outs?? I thought they only got about 3 feet tall. Uh oh.

Have you tried Round up for the weeds? What I do in my crowded garden is take a nice size piece of cardboard to protect the plants, put the Round up on a direct line of spray, and very gently spray the weeds around the plants. We have some weeds that are impossible to pull up by the roots and the RU works great.

But I want to hear more about those huge Knock Outs! Do you have any pictures?

• gardengranny2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For oakleyok:

Before Pruning

{{gwi:704096}}

After Pruning

{{gwi:704097}}

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Put cardboard or roofing paper on top of the weeds, if you can. Then begin spreading the mulch a little bit at a time.

• Annie
    13 years ago

Same here. Hot hot hot here too and weeds out of control! There are only a few hours in morning and evening where I can stand being out in it. The sweat just pours down my face until I cannot see and the salt stings my eyes. I tie a tea towel around my head to stop that, and it helps. I am not a person who perspires either. The humidity and heat get to me. Can't stand to wear my wide brimmed hat - too hot. So the sun bakes down on my head and I start getting dizzy. I have to quit and come inside to cool off. I cannot get anything done like that - just a little bit here and a little bit there. Meanwhile, the weeds don't stop growing and wait for me to feel better.

I am so sorry you have RA - that's such a debilitating disease, but especially for a gardener. I am proud of you to keep on keeping on in spite of it though. Bravo!

Kathy, thanks for the reminder of cardboard. That was on my TO GET LIST. I have a big heap of chipped wood mulch from the power company tree trimmers who were working this area in March. The weeds and wild grasses have suddenly become a nightmare! The Bermuda grass is growing over the top of the mulch around the trees and shrubs. I chopped and pull it out and it does me in.

I have felt that same complete despair many times. Have even posted it on the forum too. Then some sweet sally on here sends me an email and tells me not to give up, and later, I am glad I didn't when I see the prettiest rose blooming in my garden...weeds and all!

~Annie

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Annie and all,

When I am out in the garden, since I can't be in the sun, I have a fan blowing in my direction (Looooong extension cord. It helps wonderfully.)

Also, I got a big beach umbrella and stand for Mother's Day. Not for the beach, to put over the spot I'm weeding, that way, I don't have to keep the hat and long sleeves on. It's still hot, but it is more bearable.
    kay

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Kay that unbrella is a great idea.I also can't be in the sun,and am supposed to wear long sleeves etc when out there,but it gets too hot for me.Thanks for the idea.
    Kathi

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Kathi,

It works, and it is so much better than wearing all of the get-up I otherwise have to wear. Combine the umbrella and the fan, and you're almost comfortable.

kay

• daislander
    13 years ago

good idea! (beach umbrella) . Unfortunately this tells you I have so many weeds in some spots this is a viable idea as moving the umbrella every 2 mins would get tiresome and I hate wearing a hat! and a fan on a extension cord! hahaha thats awesome! My way- my boyfriends big mechanic spot light on a stand and weed at night when its cool. I look like a crazy gardener girl but oh well I love night gardening!

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Hey that's a good idea too. DH would be too worried there would be a snake, and I wouldn't see it. Ah well, the umbrella dn the fan work pretty well.
    kay

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations