First dahlia--a red waterlily.

From Kathy and Brad's garden in 2010

Pink peony and foxglove.

Comments (16)

• cindysunshine
    13 years ago

What gorgeous flowers - my goodness they grow BIG up there! I am a big dahlia lover - that waterlily is wonderful. Do you start them inside? I don't know too much about the growing season where you are, but you sure can do beautiful things.

Foxglove are one of my favorite - they are difficult for me here, my gardens tend to just be so dry and I don't have much space that has any shade at all.

Wonderful and thank you for posting.

• lisa33
    13 years ago

I love, love, love the pictures! That white peony with the chives is to die for. Is that meconopsis I see behind that giant columbine? If so, I'm so jealous. I am sure I will give in to the temptation to try to grow it here at some point. For now, I enjoy it through pictures only!

Thanks for sharing,

Lisa

• dahli22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for your great comments!

cindy: i start them in a greenhouse in april.

lisa: good eye! yes-meconopsis. i'm going to try and grow them from seed in fall (again)...

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful garden! I love foxgloves, and planted them for the first time this year. Hope mine are as nice as yours!!

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

Your foxgloves are HUGE! and lovely lovely lovely!

• flowerchildky
    13 years ago

beautiful photos!

the colors are amazing-
    thanks for sharing
    Linda

• carrieburgess3
    13 years ago

Wow, what incredible combinations!!! Your gardens are positively stunning. And those columbine are amazing. Thank you so much for sharing.

Carrie

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Dahli, I'm always so happy when I see you've posted photos! Your garden just blows me away. You have such a beautiful yard. That is some talent you have for combinations and design.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Just gorgeous - thank you so much for sharing - The foxglove are amazing - love them .....

Lynne

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Really a lovely set of photos. I love peonies and foxgloves, so they really appealed to me. that is an enormous columbine.
    kay

• DYH
    13 years ago

I love seeing photos of the gigantic flowers and veggies in Alaska! Amazing! Nothing like that around here!

Is it your long days that make up for the short growing season?

Cameron

• janepa
    13 years ago

Your flowers are beautiful.

What is an average day like where you are located, as far as the temps.? We are having warmer than normal, like 10 degrees warmer, and the blooms are early on some thing here and some are not looking their best that like a cooler spring, early summer.

Thank you. Jane

PS: I really like columbine, but I have never had one reach over 18"-24", and not full at all.

• blondiesc
    13 years ago

Stunning! Your photos are magazine worthy! Thank you so much for sharing them.

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

You must be in Juneau/SE Alaska, correct?

What a beautiful garden and beautiful foxgloves! The climate there must be perfect to grow a lot of the old english cottage garden varieties.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Stunningly beautiful, and perfectly manicured as usual. The colors in your garden are just so saturated and the greens are so bright. Master gardener at work!
    Renee

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh! What beautiful foxgloves and columbines. I planted McKana Giants 2 yrs. ago and they produced similiar to yours. Also Clementine Blue was tall like the McKana Giants, yet the Clementine red, planted right next to them was a midget. Whatcha' feeding that flowerbed? Steroids? I've never grown foxgloves but they are on my list to try in 2011.

Sponsored