Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemyroses

Upheaval at my house! Now what?!?!

ilovemyroses
10 years ago

I got sick of looking at leggy, leafless roses straining to find the sun. Yes, these are the alleged partial shade roses, Mary Rose, Penelope, Sweetness, Cottage Rose. Mind you, they do get sun...on west side of house, four hours of somewhat dappled sun (tall tree), but leggy thorny roses to me, are horrid. So despite the date I yanked them and planted them "where the sun does shine"! Five of them. Fully, leggedly grown. Pruned them down by half and I wish them luck!

But what to go there now? This is the west side of my screened porch, the only thing there is self seeded tall Mexican petunia. Yick! Better than nothing but too invasive. Really going full on with the cottage/butterfly garden look. Would love an oak leaf hydrangea but think it would burn. A few roses on the edges are fine sun wise, but I can't think of what to put in. Some height (4 feet?) is ok. I am sick of stretching the limits on sun versus shade, so....

COTTAGE LIKE. PART SUN. DAPPLED, but a FEW SCORCHING MOMENTS OF TEXAS SUN ARE PROBABLE!!! No red. No golden yellow. Pink, purple, white, are good. Area is 10' by 20'.

Comments (6)

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

I'll try to think of my roses that catch our dreaded full west sun - Belinda's Dream, SDLM, G Nabonnand, Duchesse de Brabant, Zepherine Drouhin, Don Juan, Tropicana (surprising), MAC, Maitland White, Rosa Moschata.

Are they getting enough water? But with all the rain we've been getting I wouldn't think that's a problem. Also, most of these are the old proven roses on own root, don't know if that makes a difference. Now my Golden Celebration is a different story, it gets that west sun and looks great when in bloom but shortly after loses everything! After 3 years of this I plan to hack it down to about a foot and see if that helps. It did this with my A. Darby, couldn't believe the difference!

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Well, duh, Ilovemyroses, I seem to have missed the whole gist of your post; please excuse my oversight! :)

ogrose

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Monarda punctata or monarda citriodora are great for attracting pollinators. They are more annual-like. There are other monardas, as well. How about liatris? Or daisies? Or coneflowers? I'm not familiar with your zone, but I have all of the above growing in significant shade. Do you have any milkweed species growing in your yard?

Martha

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

martha, I do have milkweed, but i will check out these other plants, only familiar with coneflower, but again, thought this was a full sun plant, and hate to not have it where it can be fully productive!?

ogrose, yes, the rain has been wonderful hasn't it! wish we could save it til mid summer, but glad to have it! i may try the same with A. Darby. He is really getting out of bounds! and the thorns are so brutal, I don't mind giving it a haircut!

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

I have some coneflower that only get part sun here in my zone, I imagine they could make due with it in yours-but I'm by no means and expert! I have a pow wow white and wild berry in a bed that gets am sun but is in full shade by mid day. I have daisies and spiderwort in this same bed.

Is it kept moist? Maybe Hydrangea? I don't know how they would handle your temps, but I have an old one in the same bed as the echs and it is quite happy there, even in mid summer when AM sun is hot.

Maybe some of the newer coreposis that are not red or yellow (I can't think of any of the cultivars but I think there are some purpl-ey ones).

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

These do well in my Z6 garden but that may be more to do with soil than sun: Jacob's Ladder/Polemonium (blue/lavender; Z4-8), Lychnis coronaria/rose campion (dark pink; Z3-9), Platycodon grandiflora 'Alba'/balloon flower (white; Z3-9), perennial geranium (low-growing but pink), Caryopteris/blue mist shrub (somewhat short but blue, Z5-9). Generally these tend to be medium-sized, mostly by nature but the balloon flower only by pruning early each season.

Do you already have penstemon? This is a great, early-season bloomer that attracts pollinators + there are many cultivars that might adapt to your growing conditions. My winter sown Siberian iris also fit your requirements--they grow nearly a foot taller than the commercially-grown plants I set in several years ago.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus