Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

Weed?

bellarosa
9 years ago

How do you post a pic? I have a plant in my garden that I don't know what it is. It's super tall. Could it be a weed? I'd like to post it and get input on what it could possibly be.

Comments (15)

• cenepk10
    9 years ago

Click the chose file button & follow the prompts. Not a particularly up to date site. But incredible, generous Gardeners here !!!!

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is.

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

There is a plant ID forum here on Gardenweb that is very active. People answer within minutes or hours, sometimes. I would try there. Good luck.

Martha

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Weed. Pull it out. It does have an interesting cone shaped yellow bloom but will seed down terribly. The field edges (and my property) are full of it.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I was outside this afternoon when noticed my Black Eyed Susan by the barn. Suddenly I thought perhaps I had give you bad advice as to pulling your "weed". Did you plant BESs? Look them up and see if the edges of the leaves are toothed or smooth.

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't remember planting any black eyed susans there although at one point I had some rudbeckia triloba growing there. the leaves don't look the same though. anyway, i can't check the leaves now - it raining like crazy over here! will do so tomorrow. thanks!

• sally2_gw
    9 years ago

I've just started lurking on this forum, but I thought I'd give a guess as to the identity of your mystery plant. Could it be giant ragweed?

Sally

• ianna
    9 years ago

Be careful when handling an unknown plant and use protective gloves and long sleeve. I'm pretty sure it's not hogweed(see link below) but you should be aware some weeds can be particularly hazzardous.. So err on the side of caution.

Here is a link that might be useful: informationo n hogweed.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I also think it is Ambrosia trifida, Giant Ragweed. It isn't Hogweed.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

I think Ianna is right - looks like hogweed - nasty stuff.

Nancy.

• ginnier
    9 years ago

Yep giant ragweed....we call it horseweed in this area (farming community) and it reseeds aBUNdantly so pull it now while you still can. It'll get 8 feet tall at best.
    I can remember a year where farmers around here...well, one in particular, didn't put down too much weed control. His field of soybeans had horseweed all over it! My hubby constructed this apparatus that you strap on the bucket of your utility tractor that was a 5 inch plastic pipe but 15 foot long with cotton rope strung through it everyonce inawhile. The pipe held Roundup that soaked the rope. You drove thru the field and "wiped" the horseweeds that had grown higher than the soybeans. Hubby came home from "wiping" that guy's field and said he could hardly even see, the weeds were so tall. It was a mess! But the Roundup did the job on the weeds.

Off topic, I know.... Interesting way to make a little money when things are tight...

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

I live in umbellifer central...and know for sure it is not hogweed (heracleum spondylium, lanata or the fearful mantegazzanium). Not familiar with giant ragweed but it sure looks like a contender.

• cenepk10
    9 years ago

Personally- I consider black eyed susans weeds ;)

• ianna
    9 years ago

Just err on the side of caution. Hogweeds (and it is possibly not a hogweed) can even cause blindness. Not somehitng you'd like to mess with.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

" is possibly not a hogweed.." It is definitely not a hogweed. Campanula and I see that all the time in both its native and alien versions and this plant categorically isn't it.