Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

A Pineapple Lilly

schoolhouse_gw
10 years ago

It's been a long time since I grew the Pineapple Lily. Here is one of two, just coming on, trying avoid the shade of a Lupine.

Comments (8)

• NewGirlinNorCal
    10 years ago

What a great photo- that's one of the best examples of "shape repeating" I've ever seen! What is the lower plant in front?

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NewGirl, the plant in front is "Candytuft" the white variety. It blooms early Spring and is finished by the end of May. A very hard and dependable ground cover/border plant. Been there many years.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

That's a good looking plant,really like the color of it.My bff gave me one this year in a pot,only the flower was lavender.It's finished blooming and i'm not sure how to care for it(I know,google is my friend) but i'd rather hear from someone who has grown it.

Right now it's still in the pot that it was in when given to me.As the leaves and flowers died and turned brown,i just pulled them off.My bff didn't know the care either as it was new to her as well.

Kathi

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just went out and took a photo of the Candytuft to give you an idea of it's mounding habit. I need to cut it back often to keep it in check and like creeping phlox grass tends to engulf it if you aren't careful.

The lavendar candytuft that I'm familiar with grows tall doesn't it? or will it spread and mound the same way? My neighbor up the road has it pop up all through her gravel driveway.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should say that by "cutting back" I meant trimming back the sides that creep beyond where I want it, not shearing the top off; altho that probably wouldn't hurt it.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

That is a beautiful mound of Candytuff. The lily looks lovely in front of it.
    kay

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually the Pineapple Lily is behind it, suppose to get much taller (I hope). There are two planted, the second one is a little behind in growth than the first.

Lupines on the left, Iris on the right (just foliage, blooms are spent).

• NewGirlinNorCal
    10 years ago

I thought it might be candytuft! Here in Sacramento if it's in a well-protected spot it will bloom 10 months out of the year. It's just crazy. In fact my neighbor's candytuft patch is so bust blooming it hasn't spread at all since the first season. Thanks for the answers and the second photo!

Sponsored