Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Pineapple Lilly

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 20:54

It's been a long time since I grew the Pineapple Lily. Here is one of two, just coming on, trying avoid the shade of a Lupine.

photo 100_4690.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Pineapple Lilly

What a great photo- that's one of the best examples of "shape repeating" I've ever seen! What is the lower plant in front?

o

NewGirl, the plant in front is "Candytuft" the white variety. It blooms early Spring and is finished by the end of May. A very hard and dependable ground cover/border plant. Been there many years.

o

That's a good looking plant,really like the color of it.My bff gave me one this year in a pot,only the flower was lavender.It's finished blooming and i'm not sure how to care for it(I know,google is my friend) but i'd rather hear from someone who has grown it.

Right now it's still in the pot that it was in when given to me.As the leaves and flowers died and turned brown,i just pulled them off.My bff didn't know the care either as it was new to her as well.

Kathi

o

I just went out and took a photo of the Candytuft to give you an idea of it's mounding habit. I need to cut it back often to keep it in check and like creeping phlox grass tends to engulf it if you aren't careful.

The lavendar candytuft that I'm familiar with grows tall doesn't it? or will it spread and mound the same way? My neighbor up the road has it pop up all through her gravel driveway.

o

I should say that by "cutting back" I meant trimming back the sides that creep beyond where I want it, not shearing the top off; altho that probably wouldn't hurt it.

o

That is a beautiful mound of Candytuff. The lily looks lovely in front of it.
kay

o

Actually the Pineapple Lily is behind it, suppose to get much taller (I hope). There are two planted, the second one is a little behind in growth than the first.

Lupines on the left, Iris on the right (just foliage, blooms are spent).

o

I thought it might be candytuft! Here in Sacramento if it's in a well-protected spot it will bloom 10 months out of the year. It's just crazy. In fact my neighbor's candytuft patch is so bust blooming it hasn't spread at all since the first season. Thanks for the answers and the second photo!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here